|“||Zouave. High hitpoint ranged infantry.||”|
The Zouave is a mercenary ranged infantry unit in Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition added by update 23511. It is a Rifle Infantry unit, but has no multipliers against any unit despite their role.
Zouaves have a strong base attack, high ranged resistance and low range when compared to most Skirmisher-type units. They have no multipliers, including the common negative multiplier the Rifle Infantry have against Cavalry, making them a soft counter against them, but also a hard counter to Heavy infantry units due to the slightly higher range and base attack. They perform as a solid general purpose infantry, but at a cost of 300 coin.
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Heavy infantry, Infantry, light cavalry, Eagle Runner Knights|
|Weak vs.||Heavy cavalry, Hand shock infantry, artillery|
|Hit points|| Flint Lock (+10%)|
Thin Red Line (+20%, British only)
Cree Tanning (+5%)
Navajo Weaving (+5%)
|Attack|| Paper Cartridge (+15%)|
Smokeless Powder (+30% siege attack)
Clenched Fist (+30% melee attack)
|Speed|| Military Drummers (+10%)|
Tilly's Discipline (+20%, Germans only)
Quechuan Mountaineering (+20%)
Apache Endurance (+5%)
|Sight||Town Watch (+2)|
|Creation speed|| Standing Army (-25%)|
Quechuan Diet (-25%)
|Train cost||Mapuche Ad-mapu (-10% coin cost)|
|Penalties|| Coffee Trade (-10% speed, Dutch only)|
Tilly's Discipline (+10% cost, Germans only)
Home City Cards
|Click for a list of Home City Cards related to the Zouave|
- Zouaves cost 400 coin and 2 population, have 320 hit points, 50% ranged resistance, and 35 ranged damage.
- Zouaves are affected by Counter Infantry Rifling.
The African Royals
- With update 50830, Zouaves cost 350 coin.
- With update 13.690, Zouaves cost 300 coin and 3 population, have 360 hit points, 40% ranged resistance, 38 ranged damage and are no longer affected by Counter Infantry Rifling.
The Zouave speaks French, using previously unused Coureur des Bois's dialogue.
- Select 1 Oui? - Yes?
- Select 2 Prêt - Ready
- Select 3 Votre ordre? - Your order?
- Move 1 Oui - Yes
- Move 2 Très bien - Very well
- Move 3 Je le ferai - I will do it
- Attack 1 À l'attaque! - Attack!
- Attack 2 Chargez! - Charge!
- Attack 3 Oui! - Yes!
- The Zouave is named after the regiments of Berbers from the Zwawa group of tribes in Algeria, who had gained a martial reputation fighting for local rulers under the Ottoman Empire, and fought as light infantry in the French Army.
- Numerous Zouave regiments were organized from soldiers of the United States of America who adopted the name and the North African–inspired uniforms during the American Civil War. The Union army had more than seventy volunteer Zouave regiments throughout the conflict, while the Confederates fielded about twenty-five Zouave companies.
|“||During the 19th century, Zouaves were a light infantry force in the French army recruited primarily from their overseas territories in Africa — an origin which their name reflects. While the units were initially indigenous, they soon drew only on European inhabitants of the occupied regions. These units grew to be held in high regard for their decorated members and success on the field, but eventually declined as they were repurposed as conscription units during the latter part of the 19th century.||”|