|This article is about the building in Age of Empires II. For the building in other games of the series, see Wonder.|
“Building a Wonder of the World demonstrates the superiority of your civilization. Constructing a Wonder that stands for a certain period of time is one way to win the game.”—Age of Empires II description
Each civilization builds a Wonder of historically relevant and unique appearance. They cannot be converted.
Tactics and placement Edit
Wonders only serve as a victory condition, and as such they must be used only in game modes that allow that kind of victory. When a player starts to build a Wonder, every other player receives a notification with the location of the Wonder so they know where to steer their aggression.
Wonders should be placed in a well-defended area so it is better to first build up a strong fortification composed of Castles, walls, and towers, so basically perform a late-game turtling strategy. In any case, the player must be prepared to be the main focus of all enemy attacks and prepare to defend the Wonder. It is advised to have a huge army to defend against attacking armies, particularly siege units. Since the Wonder takes incredibly long to be built, it is advised to build it with as many Villagers as possible while also leave them near the area once they finish in case the Wonder needs to be repaired. In team games, the support of allies while defending is highly valuable.
It is possible (but costly) to build more than one Wonder so that if one does not stand, other Wonders can stand for the time required to win the game. In The Conquerors, if the player has multiple Wonders and one is destroyed, the timer will reset but still be displayed. Although highly unlikely, if multiple players finished their Wonder at the same time, the player in the highest slot regardless of the color wins once the countdown ends.
A Monument (an unconstructable building) can be found in the Scenario Editor and some campaigns. Its appearance varies being different for each civilization, much like the Wonder, and it has the same icon, although it merely functions as decorative. It has 9999 hit points, making it the bulkiest building in the game.
List of Wonders Edit
Wonder: Aachen Cathedral
Wonder: Hagia Sophia
Wonder: Rock of Cashel
Wonder: Temple of Heaven
Wonder: St. Vitus Cathedral
Wonder: Mausoleum of Theoderic I
Wonder: Great Tent of Genghis Khan
Wonder: Taq-i Kisra Palace
Wonder: Great Mosque of Samarra
Wonder: Maria Laach Abbey
Wonder: Selimiye Mosque
Wonder: Borgund Stave Church
Wonder: Great Pyramid of Tenochtitlan
Wonder: Arch of Constantine
Wonder: Hwangnyong Temple
Wonder: Temple of the Great Jaguar
Wonder: Torre del Oro
Wonder: Temple of the Sun at Macchu Picchu
Wonder: Cathedral of St. Lawrence
Wonder: Hunyad Castle
Wonder: Kizhi Church
Wonder: Hassan Tower
Wonder: Biete Amanuel
Wonder: Great Mosque of Djenné
Wonder: Belém Tower
Wonder: Shwezigon Pagoda
Wonder: Angkor Wat
Wonder: Kalasan Temple
Wonder: Bút Tháp Temple
Further statistics Edit
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Hit points|| Masonry (+10%)|
|Armor|| Masonry (+1/+1, +3 building armor)|
Architecture (+1/+1, +3 building armor)
|Line of Sight|| Town Watch (+4)|
Town Patrol (+4)
|Construction speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
|Other||Atheism (adds 100 years to Wonder victories for all players, Huns only)|
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Byzantines: Wonders have +40% HP. Town Watch is free.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Wonders are 20% cheaper.
- Incas: Wonders cost 15% less stone.
- Malians: Wonders cost 15% less wood.
- Persians: Researching Town Watch and Town Patrol is 20% faster.
- Spanish: Wonders are built 20% faster.
Team bonuses Edit
The Forgotten Edit
- Indians: The Wonder is the Gol Gumbaz.
Rise of the Rajas Edit
- Indians: The Wonder now is the Brihadeeswarar Temple. The Gol Gumbaz is still available in the Scenario Editor.
- The Briton Wonder is actually in Germany.
- The base of the Celt Wonder was slightly altered and reused as a base for the Mediterranean style Castles.
- The Wonder is the only constructable building that does not have the standard building armor class, along with the Fish Trap.
- It is the only item in the game to cost three different resources.
- The Slav Wonder is anachronistic, as the Khizi Pogost was not built until the 17th century. A more accurate choice would've been the Moscow Kremlin when it was a Limestone Citadel, the Dormition Cathedral, or the Ferapontov Monastery.
- The design for the Malian Wonder is anachronistic by necessity. It is based on the current appearance of the Great Mosque of Djenne, but the mosque was rebuilt in the early 20th century. The original mosque would likely have looked different, but no records exist that describe its appearance, so it remains unknown. The architect for the original mosque was from Egypt, so it is possible that it would have been similar to medieval Egyptian mosques in appearance.
- The Berber Wonder is actually the minaret of an unfinished mosque. Even the tower itself has only half of its originally intended height. Thus that Wonder is an incomplete building.
- A few Wonders are resembled again as other buildings in the Scenario Editor: There is the Arch of Constantine, which is very similar to the Hunnic Wonder, the Gol Gumbaz, which used to be the Indian Wonder, the Mosque, which is even identical in appearance to the Turkish Wonder, and the Cathedral, which looks like a taller version of the British Wonder.
“One distinguishing cultural characteristic of the great Middle Age civilizations was architecture. Buildings in Japan, Scandinavia, Britain, Constantinople, and Arabia looked quite different and employed different construction techniques. In many cases, particularly noteworthy buildings stand as icons for the building civilization, marking it for all time as a culture that achieved greatness, if only temporarily. Examples of such Middle Age cultural icons are the Cathedral at Chartres, Charlemagne’s Palace, and the Hagia Sophia at Constantinople.”—Age of Empires II manual
Video overview Edit
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|House · Monastery · Wonder|
|Economy||Town Center · Dock · Fish Trap · Mill · Farm · Market · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · Feitoria|
|Research||Blacksmith · University|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Siege Workshop · Castle · Harbor|
|Towers||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Walls||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|