|This article is about the building in Age of Empires. For the similar building in other games of the series, see Wonder.|
The Wonder is a massive structure that can be built in the Iron Age in Age of Empires. It greatly increases the player's score, and is a victory condition in Random Map games. It has a very high amount of hit points, yet no attack, and it takes a very long time to build and repair. If it is constructed and stands for two thousand years, the player will automatically win the game.
Wonders require 1000 wood, 1000 stone, and 1000 gold to build. As such, it is highly recommended that the Wonder be built as far away as possible from the enemies near the heart of the player's city, as they will mount a relentless assault on it until it is brought down. Wonders are among one of the few buildings that cannot be converted by Priests. If a player's Wonder is destroyed, the player does not lose the game, although the player does not receive any resources back. The wonder represents the prestige of a player's empire.
If a player attempts to build a Wonder, all players in the game will receive a notification, and the Wonder's foundation will be revealed as well. Clicking on the foundation will give other players a clue on how close the Wonder is close to completion, since it will reveal its hit points. Once the Wonder has been completed, all players will gain line of sight on the area around it, and not kept behind the fog of war.
Variations[edit | edit source]
In Age of Empires and The Rise of Rome, the appearances of a Wonder is determined by which cultural group its civilization belong to, resulting in five different possible variations of the structure, depending on the civilization's architectural style.
- Babylonians, Persians, and Hittites: Ziggurat of Ur
- Egyptians, Assyrians, and Sumerians: Pyramid of Khufu
- Greeks, Phoenicians, and Minoans: Monument of King Leonidas
- Yamato, Shang, and Choson: Temple of Heaven
- Romans, Carthaginians, Palmyrans, and Macedonians: Colosseum
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Asian Wonder, the Temple of Heaven, is anachronistic for the time period, as it was built in the Middle Ages.
- The Ziggurat of Ur was built by the Sumerians in real history, but that civilization in the game has the Pyramid of Khufu as their Wonder instead.
- The Asian and Egyptian Wonders look different in their icons because they are from the beta. Also, the Babylonian Wonder in the beta is the Temple instead of the Wonder.
History[edit | edit source]
A Wonder is a massive structure, a crowning achievement of technology, resources, and construction time for civilizations who build one. Examples of historic ancient Wonders that have become icons for their civilization are the Egyptian Pyramids, the Great Wall of China, and the Athenian Acropolis.
Gallery[edit | edit source]