|This article is about the technology in Age of Empires II. For the technology in Age of Mythology, see Wheelbarrow (Age of Mythology).|
Wheelbarrow is a technology in Age of Empires II that can be researched at the Town Center once the Feudal Age is reached. Once researched, it allows Villagers to carry 25% more resources (13 instead of 10, actually 30% more) and move 10% faster.
Hand Cart is the further upgrade of this technology.
Wheelbarrow is a crucial economical upgrade and should be researched in any game. However, the player should consider that researching it blocks the Town Center for Villager production (the 75 seconds needed for the research equals the training time of three Villagers), so it must not always be researched as soon as possible, sometimes Villager production can be more effective.
Civilizations bonuses[edit | edit source]
- Burgundians: Can research Wheelbarrow in the Dark Age.
- Chinese: Wheelbarrow is 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Persians: Researching Wheelbarrow is 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: Researching Wheelbarrow is 30% faster.
- Vietnamese: Wheelbarrow costs .
- Vikings: Wheelbarrow is free.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
Rise of the Rajas[edit | edit source]
- Vietnamese: Wheelbarrow costs the regular price.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Vietnamese: With update 35584, Wheelbarrow costs no wood.
- Portuguese: With update 42848, all technologies are researched 30% faster.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||The simple wheelbarrow, or one-wheeled hand cart, was a significant invention at a time when most people worked with their hands in an agricultural community. There was little industry in the early part of the Middle Ages. The economy was powered largely by people growing crops, herding livestock, gathering, and building. The wheelbarrow provided an important productivity improvement.||”|
|—Age of Empires II manual|