|This article is about the technology in Age of Empires II. For other uses, see Wheelbarrow.|
Wheelbarrow is a technology in Age of Empires II that can be researched at the Town Center once the Feudal Age is reached. Once researched, it allows Villagers to carry 25% more resources and move 10% faster.
Hand Cart is the further upgrade of this technology.
Wheelbarrow is a crucial economical upgrade and should be researched in any game. However, the player should consider that researching it blocks the Town Center for Villager production (the 75 seconds needed for the research equals the training time of three Villagers), so it must not always be researched as soon as possible, sometimes Villager production can be more effective.
Carry capacity comparison table
Since civilization bonuses are applied before Wheelbarrow, Aztec Villagers benefit even more from this technology than a generic Villager.
Note: to ensure that the actual increase is never below 25%, the calculated value for the carry capacity is rounded up to the nearest integer.
- Burgundians: Can research Wheelbarrow in the Dark Age. Wheelbarrow costs -50% food.
- Chinese: Wheelbarrow is 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Persians: Researching Wheelbarrow is 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: Researching Wheelbarrow is 30% faster.
- Vietnamese: Wheelbarrow costs .
- Vikings: Wheelbarrow is free.
Rise of the Rajas
- Vietnamese: Wheelbarrow costs the regular price.
- Vietnamese: With update 35584, Wheelbarrow costs no wood.
- Portuguese: With update 42848, Wheelbarrow is researched 30% faster.
Lords of the West
|“||The simple wheelbarrow, or one-wheeled hand cart, was a significant invention at a time when most people worked with their hands in an agricultural community. There was little industry in the early part of the Middle Ages. The economy was powered largely by people growing crops, herding livestock, gathering, and building. The wheelbarrow provided an important productivity improvement.||”|
|—Age of Empires II manual|