|This article is about the building in Age of Empires. For the building in other games of the series, see Watch Tower.|
The Watch Tower is a tower in Age of Empires. In order to be built, it must first be researched at the Granary for 50 food. The Watch Tower can be upgraded in later Ages at the Granary. It is available to all civilizations. Watch Towers are more resistant against stone throwing siege weapons unlike other buildings, having 18 additional siege armor against them after accounting for building armor. Against Armored Elephants, Watch Towers have 16 extra armor.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Watch Towers are a good defensive unit and can hold back early rushes if placed behind walls in early ages. Its strength will dramatically decrease once the Bronze Age is reached so it is advised to upgrade it to the Sentry Tower as soon as possible. It is recommended to place them at higher elevations since the attack will be increased.
Upgrades[edit | edit source]
Tool Age[edit | edit source]
- Woodworking increases range by one
Bronze Age[edit | edit source]
- Artisanship increases range by one
- Architecture decreases build time by 33% and increases hit points by 20%
- Can be upgraded to the Sentry Tower
Iron Age[edit | edit source]
- Alchemy increases attack by one
- Ballistics increases its accuracy
- Craftsmanship increases range by one
- Can be upgraded to the Guard Tower
- Can also be upgraded to the Ballista Tower
Civilization bonuses[edit | edit source]
- Babylonian Watch Towers hit points .
- Choson Watch Towers have +2 Range
- Roman Watch Towers costs instead of the usual 150
Changelog[edit | edit source]
Age of Empires[edit | edit source]
- Watch Towers have 100 hit points.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- With update 38862, Watch Towers have 125 hit points.
History[edit | edit source]
The tower discovered on the wall at the ancient site of Jericho served several purposes. It extended the visual range of look-outs that would be watching for the approach of raiders and other visitors. An early warning might have been the difference between a successful defense and the fall of the town. The tower was a superior firing position for archery. Bowmen shooting down had an advantage in range and penetration power of arrows versus enemies shooting up. Enemies sheltering at the bottom of the wall may have remained visible to archers in the tower. The tower itself was an independent bastion that could serve as the defensive position of last resort if the wall was carried. The Watch Tower was a simple tower, easily built, and intended mainly to give early warning.