|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires II. For the unit in Age of Empires, see War Galley (Age of Empires).|
|“||Stronger than Galley.||”|
|—Age of Empires II description|
The War Galley is a ship in Age of Empires II that can be trained at the Dock once the Castle Age is reached. Instead of firing arrows like its predecessor, it fires large bolts like a Scorpion, but unlike the Scorpion (or the Caravel), their bolt only damages the single target it hits.
In naval battles, quickly advancing to Castle Age and researching War Galley is considered imperative as the upgrade significantly reduces the training time of Galleys. Since it is a relatively weak unit, it is strongly advised to upgrade it to the Galleon as soon as possible.
The Galley line units are the backbone of any naval army, War Galleys and Galleons are a very cost effective way to deal with Cannon Galleons and Demolition Ships if they are micromanaged properly. They are also useful in shoreline combats against enemy units and shoreline buildings with the exception of towers, Castles, and siege units. War Galleys work a lot better in large numbers, and they must be paired with Fire Ships in most cases, and are excellent escorts for Transport Ships.
The War Galley's main counter unit is the Fire Ship, but Demolition Ships may also be a problem in many circumstances. Longboats and Turtle Ships are also a threat, and siege units like Trebuchets, Onagers, and Bombard Cannons can be devastating against an army of War Galleys in shoreline combats. Also, Monks can be dangerous, especially without Faith researched.
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Transport Ships, Fishing Ships, buildings in the shoreline, melee units in the shoreline|
|Weak vs.||Fire Ships, Turtle Ships, Longboats, towers, Castles, ranged siege units on the shoreline|
|Attack|| Fletching (+1)|
Bodkin Arrow (+1)
|Range|| Fletching (+1)|
Bodkin Arrow (+1)
|Accuracy||Ballistics (hit moving targets)|
|Armor|| Careening (+0/+1)|
Carrack (+1/+1, Portuguese only)
|Speed||Dry Dock (+15%)|
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Creation speed||Shipwright (+54%)|
|Train cost||Shipwright (-20% wood)|
- Aztecs: War Galleys are created 11% faster.
- Berbers: War Galleys move 10% faster.
- Bulgarians: Fletching, Bodkin Arrow and Bracer cost 50% less food.
- Burmese: Researching Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Celts: War Galleys can convert herdables even if enemy units are next to them.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit War Galleys are 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Italians: Researching Careening, Dry Dock, and Shipwright is 33% cheaper. Upgrading to Galleon is 33% cheaper.
- Persians: War Galleys are created 15%/20% faster in the Castle/Imperial Age. Careening is researched 15%/20% faster in the Castle/Imperial Age. Dry Dock and the upgrade to the Galleon are researched 20% faster.
- Portuguese: War Galleys have +10% HP and cost less gold. Upgrades that benefit War Galleys are researched 30% faster.
- Saracens: War Galleys attack 25% faster.
- Spanish: Blacksmith upgrades that benefit War Galleys don't cost gold.
- Tatars: War Galleys deal +25% bonus damage from cliffs and elevations.
- Turks: Chemistry is free.
- Vikings: War Galleys are cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Koreans: War Galleys cost less wood.
- A team containing Bulgarians: Researching Fletching, Bodkin Arrow and Bracer is faster.
- A team containing Japanese: War Galleys have +50% LOS.
- A team containing Lithuanians: Researching Heresy and Faith is 20% faster.
- A team containing Malians: Researching Chemistry and Ballistics is 80% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: War Galleys are more resistant to conversion.
The Age of Kings
- Italians: Upgrading to Galleon is 50% cheaper.
- Vikings: War Galleys are now 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Bulgarians: Initially, the Team Bonus gave the Blacksmith a 50% work rate boost. With update 42848, this was changed to a 80% work rate boost.
- Bulgarians: With update 42848, Blacksmith upgrades cost 50% less food.
- Koreans: War Galleys cost 15% less wood. With update 39284, they cost 20% less wood.
- Portuguese: With update 39284, War Galleys cost 20% less gold. With update 42848, technologies are researched 30% faster.
Lords of the West
- The War Galley is one of only four upgraded forms of military units (the other three being the Man-at-Arms, the Long Swordsman, and the Capped Ram) to be available to all civilizations.
- War Galleys deal bonus damage against the cheat unit Saboteur (since The Conquerors) because it is in the same unit class as ships.
|“||The war galley was a larger and improved fighting ship. It carried a larger contingent of marines and archers. When necessary, the equivalent of a war galley was created by putting fighting towers at the stern and bow of trading ship. These provided better protection and a height advantage for archers when closed with an enemy ship.||”|