Image formats Edit
Hello, since you're an admin on the wiki I figured you're the right person to ask; what's exactly the recommended image format for uploaded images on the wiki? I mostly upload PNG as it's the regular format after saving them from image editing software but I've noticed most of the files on the wiki are in JPG or JPEG format. Is there a recommended image format and does it make any difference? Thank you very much. Jadd.H~ 13:21, June 14, 2018 (UTC)
- We try to use the .png format, though there are a lot of old .jpeg images on the site. But yes, .png is the recommended image format.
- Also: when you add categories to a page, please check that the page isn't already placed in a subcategory of that category. For example, all mechanical artillery are siege equipment, so the latter category is redundant on the Stone Thrower page.Narve (talk) 17:40, June 14, 2018 (UTC)
I saw that you are having wrist surgery. I hope everything goes well. Good luck at the surgery!
Age of Empires II Civilization imagesEdit
I came here to discuss about the images of the civilizations in Age of Empires II (including the forgotten empires expansion). For Age of Empires III every playable civilization has a flag, which I placed new128 by 96 px flags for consistency unlike before. For cultures in Age of Mythology, each civilization including Atlanteans and Greeks have 256 by 256 px.
However when it comes to Age of Empires II, the civilizations don't have a consistent in game image, instead they are placed with the following photo types
- Artists renditions and illustrations such as the image for the Aztecs over here .
- Monuments or paintings of a notable leader or person from the civilization such as here
- A real life photo of the civilization's Wonder such this and this
- The flag of the civilization during its time such as this
Besides the demo I haven't fully played Age of Empires II and thus don't know the mechanics of the game too well, my question is there images unique to each civilization that cut be placed to represent them in AOE II. If there isn't I propose either we put the civilization's Wonder or some other image consensual to the community. Radhe Mohan 03:08, August 15, 2018 (UTC)
- If you click on the in-game history section, there's a short description of each civilization, along with an image. I see you've uploaded images of the Berber history section, so I assume you've found it? One option is to use that image - or the Wonders, like you suggested.
- But this isn't a discussion to be had on one user's talk page. I suggest you start a blog post or a forum thread and ask the community.Narve (talk) 07:56, August 15, 2018 (UTC)
Pet Pages in AOE III Edit
- Hi just to clarify, the reason I brought the previous discussion regarding AOE II Civilization images to your talk page in the first place was in part that my previous blog post of Merging pet pages with their animals had been ignored and no one took time to answer, thus I didn't want to create a blog post regarding this current phenomenon unanswered and blank without having some community knowledge e.g you.
- Just wondering, what is your standpoint upon this subject, should pages of pets in Age of Empires III like Honcho or Gentle Pete the Pet Bear or even pets from The Asian Dynasties be merged with their corresponding animal? Because if the community disagrees with the merging, then a page for Buttercup the pet Cougar will need to be created. Thanks Narve, and hope to hear back soon from you. Good luck with the post surgery wrist and I would be interested if you answer either here or on the blog discussion whenever you feel prepared.
- Radhe Mohan 19:50, August 17, 2018 (UTC)
regarding your reversal of my edit of the "Siege in Caanan" scenario I disagree with your justification:
1. In my attempt to improve articles on AoE1 missions, I refer the player name to the "Tribe Name" (see the corresponding variable in the Player section of the scenario editor) which is unique to each scenario, not to the player profile name. If there is no tribe name I keep "Player". That is my approach throughout all the articles I already overhauled (for example see here I use "Hatti" since it is the tribe name in the whole campaign.)
2. In each player section of a article on a mission the human player is listed right on top an with its own subheading so there is no chance to confuse a average reader if tribe names are used.
3. It is trivial and known to all AoE players that one can choose its own player name. Therefore tribe names provide more information on the scenarios than always stating "Player".
Therefore, I appeal to you to overthink your reversal.
- We've used the term "player" in that section ever since the player section was implemented a couple of years ago (or at least, since the player was added to the "Players" section). We use the same standard for all the games in the series. If you want it changed, you're going to have to start a discussion (in the forums or a blog post) and gain consensus for your suggestion.Narve (talk) 19:48, October 10, 2018 (UTC)
Aoe3 TAD Chinese Home City CardsEdit
Changing images layoutEdit
Came by for a quick stop just to check up on my edits. I'm sure you seen I edited multiple animal and wildlife pages for AOM and Age of Empires II, and I was wondering. Do all articles need a gallery, I have been mainly editing Age of Empires III articles where galleries are the norm, but I see many of the articles of animals in AOM or AOE I and II are small in terms of text and have one image usually clipped to the side. Do you think they purpousley weren't given a seperate gallery header because of their article length? Please let me know, I don't want to mess up a consistent order. Consistency is important to me. Radhe Mohan 03:46, December 9, 2018 (UTC)
- I think it's good you're adding a gallery section. It wasn't as common to do it when the pages were created, but it's more common now, and it looks better.Narve (talk) 16:33, December 9, 2018 (UTC)
Question Regarding Header Capitalization Edit
Thank you for cleaning up and editing the spacing after one of my recent edits, I enjoy the work that you and your bot do.
I also saw that the headers for the sections (such as Compared advantages and disadvantages) had been made lowercase. Should they not be capitalized, if they are headers?
- No, according to the Manual of Style, "The initial letter of a title is capitalized; otherwise, capital letters are used only where they would be used in a normal sentence, e.g. Further statistics, not Further Statistics."Narve (talk) 10:25, December 27, 2018 (UTC)
New idea for the wiki: pages about official tournaments, and proffesional players and teams.Edit
Hello Narve the other day after watching the famous player TheViper playing in the tournament at twitch i was thinking about including information of the most important official and sponsored tournaments for the games, and also talking about celebrities like TheViper, Tatoh and Daut. What do you think about that?
- I don't know. Maybe creating pages for official tournaments makes sense, but how would you decide which fans deserve a page? That sounds like an arbitrary decision to make.
- In either case, that sounds like something that should be discussed in a blog post or on the forum, not on my talk page.Narve (talk) 17:37, January 30, 2019 (UTC)
Age of Empires III technology pagesEdit
I remember reading a blog post made by you earlier, in which you asked whether or not individual Home City Card pages should be made, such as Pioneers or Stone Masons. The verdict being not to create them. Does the same apply to technologies in Age of Empires III, for example. Some technologies of certain buildings have articles.
All technologies for improvements in the Arsenal don't have articles but they have red links on them. I'm pretty sure had consesus NOT to create them for as they provide little to no information as the Arsenal page already describes them.
For example, entire articles dedicated to technologies for improvements in the Monastery page has been created by Nikita Zero. Like Terror Charge or Crushing Force avalaible to the Indians for the Brahmin. The same applies to technologies in the Rice Paddy and Farm and Mill. I think a blog post be created on this but before I do, what is your take on it. I created an article for the church technology Mass Cavalry , but the other technolgies like Standing Army have redirects and the unique European technolgies like Coffee Trade and Stadhouders don't. Do you think its ok for me to go ahead and make articles for them, or a blog post created. Radhe Mohan 20:51, January 30, 2019 (UTC)
- I generally think that the best thing to do in situations like this is to create a blog post and see what the community thinks. But yeah, that may be a good idea.Narve (talk) 08:29, February 1, 2019 (UTC)
My game AoE3 Edit
Hi bro (as you're older than me, I'm 18 only), seems like you're the suitable person I should ask about this game. It was not until you mentioned that I knew Fishing Ships can be used to transport units (because in my game, those ships can't be used as a transport ship, actually). Also, I got lots weird things such as ranged cavalry units can't use melee attack, no special mode for units, the Militia use Veteran Musketeer's skin instead of having their own one and my game will be "super lag" if there is a fight between ships (but if the boats use cannon balls only, Native Boats use arrow or guns won't make the game lag, (https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:NguyenAnhLam/Lots_weird_things_in_my_AoE3_game please check my blog for more information). I swear all of those things are true, I don't lie anything but I can't take any screenshoot because I lost my game (my PC broken down and I was using Windows XP, I have a CD to install the game). Some guys told me to Update the game but strange enough, it always crashed everytime I tried to Update
I really don't know what happened, can you help me? (sorry, my bad grammar)
NguyenAnhLam (talk) 11:08, February 2, 2019 (UTC)
- First of all, your Fishing Boats CAN be used to transport units - just use the garrison button on the unit you want to transport. Secondly, the reason for the lag (and presumably the reason for the computer crashing when you try to update) is that your computer is too old - Age of Empires III can be a demanding game, so if you want the game to work properly, you need to buy a better computer. The missing buttons may be due to your settings - I'll see what I can find.Narve (talk) 11:42, February 2, 2019 (UTC)
- It doesn't matter what operating system you use - what matters is how good your computer is. Installing a new operating systems won't make your hardware any better. And no, Fishing Boats can always be used to transport units as long as you use the garrison button (you can't just right-click the boat).Narve (talk) 13:02, February 2, 2019 (UTC)
Capitalism, Coin Trickle. Edit
Think you could do a quick test to see if either is affected by any gather rate cards or upgrades? If so I could see it being extremely useful. TheRealMictlantecuhtli (talk) 12:12, February 10, 2019 (UTC)
Mosque XP trickle Edit
AoE3 Home City Cards article suggestion Edit
I think the colored boxes which indicates shipments that cost resources should be removed since the fact that the resource cost has been clearly put in the description. Thus the only distinction between HC cards is whether they are team or infinite ones (or whether it can be sent twice or not for the Japanese) based on the card's border color. Nikitazero (talk) 11:53, February 12, 2019 (UTC)
- For the Aztecs almost their entire waterfront section is yellow, along with the Iroquois. Spain doesn't have colored boxes at all, I used italics originally. I think the Russians have a different shade of green, some pages have yellow and green if both paid and team. Finally, not sure how accurate the cards are, as Ottoman team silk road said 30% on the coin page, the card page said 15%. So yeah they definitely need overhauled and yellow and green (says TEAM prominently in name) removed. TheRealMictlantecuhtli (talk) 12:17, February 12, 2019 (UTC)
Fencing school, mass infantry/cavalry Edit
Did they get patched to be stronger? I remember them being 40%, 25%, and 50% respectively. I see them listed as 67%, and 33% everywhere now. TheRealMictlantecuhtli (talk) 23:58, February 12, 2019 (UTC)
- No, as far as I can tell, those are still the correct values.Narve (talk) 09:10, February 13, 2019 (UTC)
- Age of Empires 2 is a different game, and the guy in that video even says depending on who did the math 40%, etc can really be 40%. It is wrong to think AoE2 stuff applies to AoE3. Plus you can load up the game and see 67% and 33% does not equal 2.2 second units (assuming a 10 second train time) which is what everyone will think. TheRealMictlantecuhtli (talk) 12:58, February 13, 2019 (UTC)
- In the video, it is indeed stated that the calculation applies to all situations involving rates. In the game files the training time bonuses are actually training time reductions (e.g. 1.00 become 0.80), so 25% less training time is not equal to trains 25% faster, but trains 33% faster. Gather rates are increases (e.g. 1.00 become 1.20), so gathers 25% faster is correct indeed. The math can indeed be confusing for average individuals. Nikitazero (talk) 13:21, February 13, 2019 (UTC)
He also gives kudos to whoever did the math for other upgrades so that 20% is 20%. Again the video is Age of Empires 2, not Age of Empires 3. To think it applies to a different game is silly, since it can be done so 40% is 40%, not 67%. Rewatch your own source. Timestamp 8:06. TheRealMictlantecuhtli (talk) 14:02, February 13, 2019 (UTC)
Would it be a good idea to change the wording on the wiki, from "trains x% faster" to "training time reduced by x%"? That way, the figure is definitely correct, and the reader would see the value they expected to see. So Mass Cavalry would reduce training time by 50%, Standing Army by 25%.
- Sounds good to me, as it stands people will think Fencing School, and Standing Army grant 99% reduction. When you need minor native civs to get instant training. TheRealMictlantecuhtli (talk) 17:28, February 14, 2019 (UTC)
- I agree, since I guess it's more precise. But building construction rates should stay denoted at being x times faster since I tested building a British Manor with TEAM Fast-building Houses and it is indeed reduced to 1 seconds. I'll change them at once, so I have to delay my progress on the AoE3 Iroquois articles. Nikitazero (talk) 17:55, February 14, 2019 (UTC)
Galleon cards Edit
Did you think that train time modifier cards (e.g. Fencing School) should be excluded from the Galleon page since they does not directly affect the Galleon itself, but rather the unit they trained? TheRealMictlantecuhtli thought otherwise and I got into an argument with him about it. Nikitazero (talk) 03:44, February 15, 2019 (UTC)
- It is a floating barracks that trains infantry units. Train time reduction for infantry does directly affect it. If it could only train a few of units, and not every other infantry unit available to a civilization in the barracks I would agree with you. Training units is a big part of its role, it isnt very detailed to leave out cards boosting that role. TheRealMictlantecuhtli (talk) 13:51, February 15, 2019 (UTC)
- I think I can't stress this more than enough, or maybe you are unwilling to make things simple but informative enough: train time modifier cards affects unit types and specific units, not the unit or building that trains them. If you don't believe, you can verify this in the game files. Even AoE2 articles separates individual units' train time and a unit or building's work rate. Nikitazero (talk) 14:59, February 15, 2019 (UTC)
- You can only train those units at a handful of places, it isn't a technical thing it is intuitive. Even if the files say it affects units, the galleon, barracks, and fort directly train those units. So they are linked, closely, to the training reduction cards of a civilization. Oh, and just a suggestion Nikitazero, I have been ordering multiple cards in a list from lowest age and home city level required to highest. So if there are two colonial age cards, but one requires level 10 home city instead of 0, I put it after the home city 0 in the list. Not a major issue either way, more a stylistic one. TheRealMictlantecuhtli (talk) 19:35, February 15, 2019 (UTC)
- You won't see me arguing for train time reduction on minor civilization pages. They only train 1-2 units, but I would argue they are appropriate on the Explorer page for training war dogs (Spanish), Carib ambushers, and Nootka War Chief. TheRealMictlantecuhtli (talk) 22:12, February 15, 2019 (UTC)
We've discussed this on the wiki previously - whether to put Conscription information on the Barracks and such. I think you should ask User:MasterBroccoli, he's more up-to-date on consensus on the matter than I am.Narve (talk) 13:31, February 16, 2019 (UTC)