Update 34055 is a patch in Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, released on December 17, 2019.
- 1 Game stability
- 2 Performance
- 3 Campaigns
- 4 Achievements
- 5 Civilization balance
- 6 Random Maps
- 7 Gameplay
- 8 Lobbies and matchmaking
- 9 Graphics
- 10 Audio
- 11 AI
- 12 UI
- 13 Modding
- 14 Scenario Editor
- Identified and implemented fixes to address various reported crashes.
- Fixed various issues caused when installing the game to a folder with a path that utilized non-Latin characters.
- Fixed various issues that could originate when logging into Xbox Live services.
- Implemented several fixes to improve the stability of the game.
- Fixed a rare crash when trying to spectate games.
- The loading screen sequence is now smoother.
- Updated the V-Sync setting to offer a more consistent and smooth experience when camera scrolling.
- Fixed an issue where AI players could cause performance spikes when calculating very long paths.
- Fixed an issue where the game would occasionally hitch when selecting units.
- Voice over audio has been moved out of the main installation package to reduce the initial installation size of the game. Audio files will now be downloaded depending on the language settings of the player's Steam client (only).
- Lowered the benchmark score for 1v1 games to 900. The score for team games remains at 1000.
- Implemented several improvements to how memory (RAM) is used by the game.
- Implemented various rendering performance improvements.
- Fixed various render artifacting issues.
- Fixed a rare desync issue.
- Implemented improvements to help players falling behind due to performance issues re-sync more smoothly.
- Implemented improvements to help prevent hitching on lower-spec machines.
- Bapheus: Fixed an issue that prevented objectives regarding the Byzantine Castles from working correctly.
- Bapheus: Turkish players will now respond if the player turns hostile to them.
- Bapheus: Objectives now display properly if the player decides to forego choosing an ally.
- Dos Pilas: Changed the Mayan Raiders team to utilize the Mayan civilization; Uaxactun is now the Aztec civilization.
- Dos Pilas: Fixed a bug that would prevent the scenario from progressing properly.
- Honfoglalas: Disabled the ability to research Cannon Galleons during the scenario.
- Honfoglalas: Additional resources have been added to the map.
- Honfoglalas: Resolved a rare bug that prevented the scenario from ending before all players had resigned.
- Honfoglalas: Balance changes have been made to the AI based on community feedback.
- Lake Poyang: Fixed a rare crash triggered when constructing a temple.
- The kiting behavior of AI-controlled teams has been updated in throughout the campaigns.
- Alaric 4: ‘The Giant Falls’: AI-controlled allies are now more aggressive.
- Alaric 5: ‘A Kingdom of Our Own’: Disabled the player’s ability to research Cannon Galleons during the scenario.
- Barbarossa 5: Barbarossa's March: The Saracen navy will no longer aggressively chase transport ships.
- Barbarossa 5: Barbarossa's March: Constantinople’s Sea Gates will now remain locked until the player captures the ships.
- Barbarossa 6: ‘The Emperor Sleeping’: Made various AI balance changes to the Jerusalem player.
- Dracula 3: ‘The Breath of the Dragon’: Adjusted the enemy team to only activate after player captures the initial town.
- Francisco de Almeida 5: ‘A Son’s Blood’: The AI will no longer scout with units that are unsuitable for scouting.
- Gajah Mada 3: ‘The Oath to Unify Nusantara’: The objective to capture colonies will now reappear if too many colonies are lost.
- Ivaylo 1: ‘A Most Unlikely Man’: Doubled the amount of time players have to consider the offer of Tsar Konstantin.
- Ivaylo 2: ‘An Unlikely Alliance’: The AI player no longer destroys the Wonder upon resigning.
- Ivaylo 4: ‘Echoes of Heroes’: Dismounting Ivaylo is no longer a deal-breaker.
- Joan of Arc 2: ‘The Maid of Orleans’: Tasked the department of invasive species to relocate a cactus that somehow sprouted in the French countryside.
- Joan of Arc 6: ‘A Perfect Martyr’: Adjusted the difficulty of AI players based on community feedback.
- Kotyan Khan 2: ‘The Battle at the Kalka River’: Implemented various fixes to make the scenario easier on lower difficulties.
- Kotyan Khan 4: ‘Blood for Blood’: Fixed an issue where the Merchant could get stuck and halt scenario progress.
- Kotyan Khan 5: ‘A New Home’: Added additional gold nodes to the map.
- Kotyan Khan 5: ‘A New Home’: Bulgarian Konniks created for the player will now spawn faster.
- Kotyan Khan 5: ‘A New Home’: The Bulgarian part of the scenario is now more eventful and challenging.
- Le Loi 1: ‘The Dai Viet Uprising’: Reduced the aggression of the Chinese AI based on community feedback.
- Le Loi 1: ‘The Dai Viet Uprising’: The objective to destroy towers now activates correctly.
- Montezuma 6: ‘Broken Spears’: Fixed an oddly placed plant reported by a community member. (Thank you!)
- Sundjata 3: ‘Djeriba Gold’: Fixed an issue where certain units would get stuck when an ally captured the Relic Cart.
- Sundjata 4: ‘Blood on the River Bank’: Malian traders now properly receive extra defensive upgrades.
- Sundjata 4: ‘Blood on the River Bank’: The second part of the trade quest will now deactivate if the Malian Traders resign.
- Sundjata 5: ‘The Lion’s Den’: The AI and Wonder timer has been rebalanced based on community feedback.
- Sundjata 5: ‘The Lion’s Den’: Removed enemy units and walls from various islands.
- Sundjata 5: ‘The Lion’s Den’: The Sosso Guard unit has been added to the scenario.
- Tamerlane 1: ‘Amir of Transoxiana’: Added additional resources to some of the side quests.
- Tamerlane 2: ‘Gurkhan of Persia’: Added additional resources to some of the side quests.
- Tamerlane 4: ‘Sultan of Hindustan’: Added additional villagers at allied encampments to speed up their initial advancements.
- Yodit 3: ‘A Fallen Crown’: Dagnajan will now attack when provoked.
- The A Truly Holy Emperor achievement can no longer be unlocked if the player converts a working villager.
- The An Army Marches on Its Stomach achievement no longer requires any towers to be destroyed.
- The Diplomacy is for the Meek achievement can now be unlocked by defeating the Scythians and killing their prince.
- The Furor Teutonicus achievement can now be unlocked by defeating all players apart from the Cumans.
- The I Was in China Before achievement can now be unlocked by defeating the Jin before they start building their wonder.
- The Offense is the Best Defense achievement can now be unlocked by defeating all enemies before completing the Wonder.
- The Pitched Battle achievement can now be unlocked by winning the scenario without building any palisade walls, stone walls, fortified walls, or gates.
- The achievement, The Wonder, the Wonder, the…Oh, Never Mind, can now be unlocked by defending the wonder and winning the scenario.
- The Turkish Delight achievement can now be unlocked by defeating all Turkish rivals and winning the scenario.
- The line-of-sight for herdable creatures is now consistent. Cow and Buffalo herdables now see 3 tiles, while all other herdables see 2 tiles.
- Steppe Lancer: Decreased the attack power from 10 to 8 melee damage.
- Elite Steppe Lancer: Decreased the attack power from 12 to 10 melee damage.
- Steppe Lancer [Standard & Elite]: Increased the gold cost to train the unit from 30 to 45 gold.
- Steppe Lancer [Standard & Elite]: Slowed the rate of fire from 1.9 to 2.3 seconds.
- Steppe Lancer [Standard & Elite]: Decreased the speed of the unit from 1.5 to 1.45.
- Steppe Lancer [Standard & Elite]: Doubled the size of the collision box to prevent multiple units from stacking too tightly.
- Krepost: Can no longer be converted.
- Krepost: Reduced the size of the building from 4×4 to 3×3 tiles.
- Konnik [Standard & Elite]: Slowed the rate of fire from 1.9 to 2.4 seconds.
- Konnik: Reduced hit-points from 110 to 100 health.
- Elite Konnik: Reduced hit-points from 130 to 120 health.
- Dismounted Konnik [Standard & Elite]: Now takes additional damage from the Samurai unit.
- Dismounted Konnik [Standard & Elite]: Slowed the rate of fire from 2 to 2.4 seconds.
- Increased the armor granted by the Bagains technology from +3 to +5 armor.
- Increased the time to construct a Feudal Age Town Center from 225 to 270 seconds.
- Kipchak [Standard & Elite]: Slowed the rate of fire from 1.8 to 2.2 seconds.
- Kipchak: Reduced hit-points from 45 to 40 health.
- Elite Kipchak: Reduced hit-points from 50 to 45 health.
- Elite Kipchak: Reduced the total number of arrows from 4 to 3.
- Cumans no longer have access to the Husbandry technology.
- Civilization Bonus: Cavalry units now move 5% faster in the Feudal Age, 10% faster in Castle Age, and 15% faster in Imperial Age.
- Feudal Age Battering Rams no longer deal area of effect damage to units.
- Ballista Elephants [Standard & Elite]: Now gain the intended benefits of cavalry armor upgrades.
- The Cavalry attack bonus granted by captured relics no longer affects Light Cavalry.
- Reduced the maximum attack bonus granted by captured relics from +5 to +4.
- Plumed Archers [Standard & Elite]: Increased the base cost of training by +5 gold and +5 wood during both the Castle and Imperial Age.
- Adjusted the archer attack vs. buildings bonus to +1 during the Feudal, Castle, and Imperial Ages.
- Keshik [Standard & Elite]: Reduced the gold cost to train from 80 to 40 gold.
- Keshik: Increased hit-points from 100 to 110 health.
- Elite Keshik: Increased hit-points from 130 to 140 health.
- Keshik: Reduced attack power from 12 to 9 damage.
- Elite Keshik: Reduced attack power from 14 to 11 melee damage.
- Fixed a rare issue where Scouts could sometimes spawn inside walls.
- The player’s main gold pile will now appear slightly further from forests to improve accessibility.
- Relic generation has been fixed to ensure that 5 Relics spawn on tiny, small, and medium maps. On larger maps, additional Relics will spawn.
- The Budapest map no longer spawns extra villagers when playing the Empire Wars game mode.
- Farms around the starting Town Center are spaced more evenly when playing the Empire Wars game mode.
- Fortress: Boars now spawn closer to all player starting points.
- Fortress: Walls and towers now spawn a consistent distance from each player’s starting Town Center.
- Fortress: Adjusted the placement of Houses and other buildings to prevent obstructing resources.
- Highland: Modified the way land is generated so that random zones only appear when “Team Together” is disabled. When enabled, the map has a 60% chance of splitting players based on their team, and a 40% chance of separating everyone by rivers.
- Steppe: Fixed the map to correctly start with 3 additional villagers.
- Cow and horse variants now appear on maps that previously spawned them.
When playing the Regicide game mode, maps that previously spawned with a Tower instead of a Castle will now spawn with a Fortified Tower. This affects the following maps:
- Alpine Lakes
- Aral Sea
- Black Sea
- Bog Islands
- Border Stones
- Enemy Archipelago
- Enemy Islands
- Far Out
- Front Line
- Holy Line
- Mangrove Jungle
- Mountain Pass
- Mountain Ridge
- Open Plains
- Pacific Islands
- Ring of Water
- Snake Forest
- Socotra (formerly spawned with a Castle)
- Sprawling Streams
- Swirling River
- The Eye
- Twin Forests
- Wolf Hill
- Added new “Selection Modifier Hotkeys” options to the Settings menu.
- Unit outlines will now flash green when targeted behind buildings.
- Fixed an issue where units would not attack after disembarking from a Transport Ship.
- Fixed a bug where units guarding other units would sometimes prioritize attacking buildings over enemy units.
- Fixed a rare bug where allied line of sight would not be shared properly under certain circumstances.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the Shift queue from placing farms.
- Players can no longer target farms through the fog of war.
- Holding the Ctrl key no longer appends units to the currently selected group if “Easy Drag Military” is disabled in settings.
- The Waypoint flag’s cursor hot-spot is now at the bottom of the flag rather than the top (same as legacy).
- Auto-wall completion is now disabled when placing single Wall segments.
- Double-clicking on different types of horses or cows now properly selects all variants of those units.
- Deleting a Hun Town Center no longer reduces the population limit by 1.
- The Defend the Wonder game mode no longer concludes before the Wonder’s destruction animation has completed.
- Wonder Race will no longer use the previously-set Victory Condition.
- Trebuchets are no longer available in the Wonder Race game mode.
- Trebuchets will no longer unpack if any one Trebuchet within the selected group fails to find a valid target within its minimum range.
- Fixed a bug where the “Next” button of the Dock could not be clicked when the Dock’s foundation was selected.
- Beach terrain now displays properly when starting a game with the map explored.
- The Woof Woof cheat code now affects all birds instead of only Hawks.
Lobbies and matchmaking
NOTE: The ability to create and filter by “Friends-Only” lobbies has been disabled, as this was limiting the number of games being displayed in the Lobby Browser. While we work on a permanent solution to the underlying issue, players can still create a Private game lobby and then use the Invite button to invite and play with friends.
- Fixed various issues when inviting another player to a game lobby.
- Fixed a rare crash when opening a Profile page while offline.
- Fixed an issue where a player would be stuck on the Tech Tree screen when in a lobby that had been closed.
- Fixed an issue where a player’s information would sometimes not display correctly if they were not in the top 100 on the leaderboard.
- Fixed an issue where games played by friends would fail to populate in the spectator lobby.
- The Lobby Browser search now also searches for the names of players in lobbies in addition to the lobby name.
- The Spectator Browser search now also searches for the names of players in lobbies in addition to the lobby name.
- Map names no longer display in the host’s language, but instead use the language of the player’s game client.
- Added the ability to filter by LAN games in the Lobby Browser.
- Previous lobby names are now remembered when creating a new lobby in the same game session.
The Ranked map pool has been updated to include the following eight maps:
- Black Forest
- Gold Rush
- Team Islands
Players can now ban maps when matchmaking:
- 1v1: 3 bans
- 2v2: 1 ban
- 3v3: 1 ban
- 4v4: 0 bans
- Adjusted the walking animations for villagers so they no longer “slide” over terrain.
- Shadows will now display over destroyed units and buildings.
- Added a decay object for spear, arrow and dart projectiles that miss their target.
- Elite Cannon Galleons now have a unique model from their standard counterpart.
- The Fishing Trap and Box Turtles now correctly display their underwater graphics.
- Updated the animations for the Konnik, Longboat, Scout Cavalry, Steppe Lancer, Subotai, Tarkan, and several Villager units.
- Updated the animations for the Bridge and Indian Mill structures.
- The notification when another player advances to a new Age now uses a unique sound effect from the “chat” notification.
- Converting a unit now plays the correct sound effect.
- Increased the volume of the “You are under attack” sound effect.
- Deer no longer have creation sounds in the Editor.
- Animals and Relics now have selection sounds.
- UI elements now have more subtle sound effects.
The sound effects for the following units and events have also been updated:
- War Wagon attack sounds
- Melee unit attack sounds
- Elephant attack sounds
- Selecting Cavalry units
- Boar death sounds
- Camel death sounds
- Arrow sounds
- Fire Ship sounds
- Units will now converge to a single point rather than maintaining their initial distance from each other. Note that players can ALT + Right Click to utilize the old behavior.
- Fixed an issue where melee units would be slow to respond when right clicking to attack groups of enemy units.
- Fixed an issue where units would fail to find a new target after a targeted unit garrisoned in a Town Center.
- Fixed an issue where Villagers ordered to drop resources at the Town Center would not automatically move to help construct buildings afterwards.
- Fixed a rare issue where Villagers would sometimes go idle in certain circumstances.
- Fixed a rare issue where Rams would not attack enemy structures when patrolling.
- Fixed a rare issue where the AI would send its units to the westernmost point of the map.
- Fixed a legacy issue where units could walk through buildings if they were placed on top of enemy foundations.
Several adjustments have also been made to the AI’s scripting:
- up-filter-status now resets correctly.
- sn-attack-winning-player-factor can no longer cause a rare crash.
- sn-enable-training-queue now works correctly with values 2 to 14.
- Added a new score display mode to the spectator/replay UI to display both score and tech progress at the same time.
- Clicking on a unit icon will now center the view on the object while spectating.
- Fixed an issue where scaling the UI to 125% would make some elements unresponsive.
- The Game Speed and Lock Speed options are no longer affected by the “Random” option in the Lobby.
- Fixed various issues which prevented teams, civilizations, and player names from displaying properly when loading into a match.
- Fixed an issue where civilization emblems and UI styles would reset when returning from the Options screen while in-game.
- Updated the Market to display the correct Buy and Sell tips when the Extended Tooltips setting is disabled.
- The correct repair cursor now displays when repairing damaged buildings, siege weapons, and ships.
- Fixed an issue which prevented Friend or Foe colors from functioning following the completion of a match.
- Fixed an issue where the stars for Buildings Lost and Units Lost would be awarded to the wrong player on the post-game achievements screen.
- Fixed a display issue where a negative Elo would be shown after winning a Ranked match.
- Fixed an issue where the load and save screens would not display files properly.
- The Missionary tooltip no longer indicates that they can collect Relics.
- Added missing tooltips to the Lobby Browser screen.
- Updated the in-game cursor for Right-Click Drag scrolling.
- Alt + Enter no longer interacts with UI elements.
- The “U” key can now be used as a hotkey to cycle through buildings.
- Updated the campaign objective checkboxes to better-distinguish between primary and secondary objectives.
- Crowns and ribbons no longer overlap on the post-game achievements screen.
- Implemented various minor UI fixes.
- Implemented various fixes for localization issues.
- Fixed various issues which prevented the full display of certain text on the UI.
- Fixed various hotkey issues.
- Added a tool to convert SLP files to SMX for mod conversion.
- Added the ability to access and modify the UI data present in the /wpfg folder.
- Fixed a rare crash where the mod manager could crash if the item’s description used too many characters.
- Fixed an issue which prevented mod files from unzipping correctly.
- Fixed an issue where the file size of a mod would be incorrectly measured.
- Fixed an issue where checkboxes would enable or disable the wrong mod.
- Implemented various fixes to the sound modding system.
- Fixed a crash in the editor when deleting units garrisoned in a transport ship.
- Fixed a crash in the editor when changing the projectile of a unit through triggers.
- Fixed a rare crash in the editor when using Ctrl + A.
- Added variation to the waterfall that appears underneath the terrain layer.
- Red boxes no longer render in front of the terrain lists in the editor.
- Hotkeys now work properly when the left panels are selected (such as the unit or terrain menus).