|“||Used to improve buildings and missile units.||”|
|—Age of Empires II description|
Tactics and placement[edit | edit source]
As a building incapable of attacking or producing units, the placement of a University must not be given much thought. All it needs to do is provide researches and optimally stand until it is done doing so. Once all necessary technologies have been researched, the University is a completely useless building and can freely be deleted (unless it is walling out an area of importance in which case it should be replaced).
As the University provides essential technologies for defensive structures and missile firing units, it should be built as soon as enough wood is available, especially when a turtling strategy is chosen or the player goes heavy on ranged units. Ballistics and Chemistry are the most important technologies here and as such, their research should be prioritized.
Technologies[edit | edit source]
Clicking on the icon links to the corresponding page.
Availability grid[edit | edit source]
The following table shows the availability of the technologies for every civilization. Technologies that are available to all civilizations (Ballistics, Murder Holes, and Chemistry) are not shown in the table. An 'X' in the last column indicates that all technologies are available.
Further statistics[edit | edit source]
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Hit points|| Masonry (+10%)|
|Armor|| Masonry (+1/+1, +3 building armor)|
Architecture (+1/+1, +3 building armor)
|Line of Sight|| Town Watch (+4)|
Town Patrol (+4)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Construction speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
Civilization bonuses[edit | edit source]
- Burmese: Researching Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Byzantines: Universities have +30%/+40% HP in the Castle/Imperial Age. Town Watch is free.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Universities and University technologies are 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Malians: Universities are 15% cheaper.
- Persians: Researching Town Watch and Town Patrol is 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Spanish: Universities are built 30% faster.
- Teutons: Murder Holes are free.
- Turks: Chemistry is free. Bombard Tower is 50% cheaper.
Team bonuses[edit | edit source]
- A team containing Lithuanians: Researching Faith and Heresy is 20% faster.
- A team containing Malians: Universities work 80% faster.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Conquerors[edit | edit source]
- Heresy introduced.
The African Kingdoms[edit | edit source]
- Arrowslits introduced. Initially, it is available in the Castle Age. With patch 4.8, it moved to the Imperial Age.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Native American University is loosely based on the El Caracol observatory.
- The African University is loosely based on the University of Sankore.
- The Central Asian University resembles the Ulugh Beg Madrasa in Samarkand, Uzbekistan.
- The Koreans are the only civilization that have access to all University technologies. In addition, the tower-improving technologies are free.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||During the bleakest days of the Dark Ages, learning was all but extinguished in much of Europe. A scattering of priests and monks in isolated monasteries carried forward the ability to read and write and kept books alive by copying old manuscripts. Charlemagne attempted to reverse this trend by creating a school to train men who could help him control his empire, but this experiment largely disappeared under a new wave of barbarian invasions from the north and east. The first centers of higher learning were associated with great cathedral towns such as Cambridge, Oxford, Padua, and Paris. Future priests and church leaders received training in Latin, the Bible, Christian philosophy, and other Christian writings. Medicine, science, and mathematics did not enter the curricula until much later. Graduates of these first universities led the Church and provided a pool of educated men who served generations of European kings as advisors and administrators.||”|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|House · Monastery · Wonder|
|Economic||Town Center · Dock · Fish Trap · Mill · Farm · Market · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · Feitoria|
|Research||Blacksmith · University|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Siege Workshop · Castle · Harbor · Krepost|
|Tower||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Wall||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|