|This article is about the units in Age of Empires II. For units in other games of the series, see Unit.|
The following is an overview of all units from Age of Empires II and all its expansions.
The following units are available in any regular game. Note that not all of these units are available to all civilizations, unless the All Techs option is checked. To see which civilization can train which units, see technology tree.
Nine different buildings can train units.
The Town Center is the most important of all buildings, and trains the most important unit.
- Militia → Man-at-Arms → Long Swordsman → Two-Handed Swordsman → Champion
- Spearman → Pikeman → Halberdier
- Eagle Scout → Eagle Warrior → Elite Eagle Warrior (Aztecs, Incas, and Mayans only)
- Condottiero (Italians and allies only)
- Huskarl (Goths only after researching Anarchy)
- Archer → Crossbowman → Arbalester
- Skirmisher → Elite Skirmisher → Imperial Skirmisher (the latter Vietnamese and allies only)
- Cavalry Archer → Heavy Cavalry Archer
- Hand Cannoneer
- Slinger (Incas only)
- Genitour → Elite Genitour (Berbers and allies only)