|This article is about the building in Age of Empires II. For the building in Age of Empires, see Trade Workshop (Age of Empires).|
The Trade Workshop is a building in Age of Empires II. It functions similar to a Market. They can be seen in some campaign scenarios, as well as (since Update 42848) an economic building in the Battle Royale game mode that can be captured if enough of a player's units are near it.
The Trade Workshop was previously an unused building that was only available in the Scenario Editor.
Original function[edit | edit source]
The Trade Workshop served only decorative purposes in the retail release. Its original purpose was to function as a building where players could assign Villagers to produce "Trade Goods" or "Luxury Goods" which were to be used as a currency for Trade Carts and Trade Cogs, to be traded in for gold. The goods could also be sold for gold, but would require more (yet gleam more).
Although originally scrapped from the final game, remnants of its code appeared in the Scenario Editor and its gameplay icon resembles the one of the Market.
Campaign appearances[edit | edit source]
The Trade Workshop appears in the following campaign scenarios.
- The Siege of Paris: There are a lot of Trade Workshops in the city of Paris.
- Lord of Arabia: Reynald's Pirates has a Trade Workshop at the tip of the Sinai Peninsula.
- Pope and Antipope: There is a Trade Workshop in Milan.
- The Great Ride: Naissus has a Trade Workshop.
- The Catalaunian Fields: The Franks have a Trade Workshop.
- The Return of the Dragon: A Trade Workshop physically overlaps a Market near the Ottoman Empire.
- The Breath of the Dragon: Orsova has a Trade Workshop.
- The Night Falls: The Wallachia town has a Trade Workshop that overlaps a Market and the craftsman's Trade Workshop overlaps a Blacksmith and Siege Workshop.
- Cyprus: There are a total of five Trade Workshops in Messina.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The instrument played in the Trade Workshop's building sound is also played in the Teutons' civilization tune.
- Uniquely, if the Trade Workshop is damaged and catches fire, it uses the original Age of Empires II fire, rather than the new HD fire. This is no longer the case in the Definitive Edition, where now it uses the Definitive Edition fire sprite used by other buildings in the game.
- The Indian Trade Workshop was East Asian style rather than Middle Eastern during the The Forgotten beta.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|Unconstructable buildings in Age of Empires II|
|The Age of Kings|
|Cathedral · Dome of the Rock · Great Pyramid · Mosque · Pavilion · Pyramid · The Accursed Tower · Sea Gate · Sea Tower · Sea Wall · The Tower of Flies · Trade Workshop · Yurt|
|Amphitheatre · Aqueduct · Arch of Constantine · City Wall · Colosseum · Fire Tower · Fortified Palisade Wall · Fortress · Gol Gumbaz · Poenari Castle · Quimper Cathedral · Temple of Heaven|
|The African Kingdoms|
|Barricade · Fence · Granary · Hut · Palace · Sea Fortification · Storage · Tent|
|Rise of the Rajas|
|Army Tent · Sanchi Stupa|
|The Last Khans (Definitive Edition)|
|Aachen Cathedral · Rock Church|