|This article is about the building in Age of Empires II. For the building in Age of Empires, see Trade Workshop (Age of Empires).|
The Trade Workshop serves only decorative purposes in the retail release. Its original purpose was to function as a building where players could assign Villagers to produce "Trade Goods" or "Luxury Goods" which were to be used as a currency for Trade Carts and Trade Cogs, to be traded in for gold. The goods could also be sold for gold, but would require more (yet gleam more).
Although scrapped from the final game, remnants of its code appear in the Scenario Editor and its gameplay icon resembles the one of the Market.
Campaign appearances Edit
The Trade Workshop appears in the following campaign scenarios.
- The Siege of Paris: There are a lot of Trade Workshops in the city of Paris.
- Pope and Antipope: There is a Trade Workshop in Milan.
- The Great Ride: Naissus has a Trade Workshop.
- The Catalaunian Fields: The Franks have a Trade Workshop.
- Cyprus: There are a total of five Trade Workshops in Messina.
- The instrument played in the Trade Workshop's building sound is also played in the Teutons' civilization tune.
- Uniquely, if the Trade Workshop is damaged and catches fire, it uses the original Age of Empires II fire, rather than the new HD fire.
|Unconstructable buildings in Age of Empires II|
|The Age of Kings|
|Cathedral · City Wall · Dome of the Rock · Fortress · Great Pyramid · Mosque · Pavilion · Pyramid · The Accursed Tower · The Tower of Flies · Trade Workshop · Yurt|
|Monument · Sea Gate · Sea Tower · Sea Wall|
|Amphitheatre · Aqueduct · Arch of Constantine · Colosseum · Fire Tower · Fortified Palisade Wall · Gol Gumbaz · Poenari Castle · Quimper Cathedral · Temple of Heaven|
|The African Kingdoms|
|Barricade · Fence · Granary · Hut · Palace · Sea Fortification · Storage · Tent|
|Rise of the Rajas|
|Army Tent · Sanchi Stupa|