The Toxotes is the main archer used by the Greeks in Age of Mythology. They can be trained at the Archery Range once the Classical Age is reached. They are one of four true foot archers in the game, the others being the Norse Bogsveigir, the Atlantean Arcus, and the Chinese Chu Ko Nu.
Attack bonuses[edit | edit source]
- Raiding Cavalry: -10%
Strengths and weaknesses[edit | edit source]
- Strong against
- Weak against
God bonuses and upgrades[edit | edit source]
Specific[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
Hades increases archers' attack by 10%.
- Medium Archers, Heavy Archers, and Champion Archers all increase LOS by 1, attack by 10%, and hit points by 10%.
- Levy Archers and Conscript Archers decrease training time by 20%.
- Copper Weapons, Bronze Weapons, and Iron Weapons increase attack by 10%.
- Copper Mail, Bronze Mail, and Iron Mail decrease hack vulnerability by 10%.
- Copper Shields, Bronze Shields, and Iron Shields decrease pierce vulnerability by 10%.
- Burning Pitch increases attack against buildings by ×3 and against ships by 50%.
- Sun Ray (Apollo) increases attack by 10%.
- Oracle (Apollo) increases LOS by 6.
- Bacchanalia (Dionysus) increases hit points by 5%.
- Shafts of Plague (Artemis) increases attack by 15%.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Toxotes are good against infantry and in groups can tear into an enemy army. Overall they provide effective ranged support for Greek armies. As ranged units they should be used at a distance as they are fragile and have little armor. They have a fairly short range compared to their counterparts in the Egyptian and Atlantean armies so they are slightly vulnerable to their respective units. As with other archers they are weak against cavalry as they can quickly close the gap with the fragile archer. Counter-archers such as the Huskarl or Slinger will also defeat them.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The word Toxon (Tόξον: bow), from which Toxotes (Τοξότης) is derived, is of Scythian origin. As for the Toxotes (plural: Tοξόται) themselves, they were slaves of Scythian ethnicity, armed with bows. They were found in Athens, and had safekeeping duties.
- The in-game description states that the Greeks did not have the traditional archery practice. This may explain why the Greeks in Age of Empires have no archer unit other than the Bowman.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||After centuries of warfare that was decided by Hoplite battle, the Greeks began using a variety of units after the superiority of combined arms was demonstrated convincingly by Philip's Macedonian army. The Greeks added light troops, mainly Peltasts and cavalry. They were slower to add archers, whom they called Toxotes, because they did not have the long tradition of archery practice that created bowmen of sufficient quality for the battlefield.||”|