|This article is about the building in Age of Empires III. For the building in other games of the series, see Town Center.|
|“||Most important building in a colony. Home City arrival point. Supports 10 population.||”|
The Town Center is an economic building in in Age of Empires III that becomes available once the Fortress Age is reached. As it trains Settlers/Villagers and acts as the default drop-off point for Home City shipments, it is the most important of all buildings. Town Centers also support 10 population.
In standard random map games, every player starts the game with a Town Center. Until the Fortress Age is reached, no more than one Town Center can be built at a time. From the Fortress Age onward, two additional Town Centers may be built.
Up to 50 villager units can garrison in Town Centers for shelter from attacks. By doing so, they give the Town Center an attack, allowing players to survive and fend off attacks. Town Centers also automatically attack passing enemy ships at all times.
The Town Center is the most important building in the game, as it is the nucleus of every players' settlements, produces Settlers/Villagers that are the backbone of every player's empire, and serve as the only means of advancing to the next Age for non-Asian civilizations.
The Town Center is a strong building. It can defend itself from land units with its top tower with a musket, from boats with a cannon and can garrison Settlers/Villagers to protect it and increase its firepower. Except for African civilizations, Town Centers also can call in one (two with specific Home City Cards) levy of Militiamen/Minutemen/Irregulars and Sentries. The Haudenosaunee can make their Town Centers much stronger with Town Ceremony and the "Great House" Home City Card.
If the player's Explorer has fallen in battle too close to enemy territory, instead of manually retrieving the unit, they may choose to pay Ransom money from the Town Center and return the Explorer back safely. Asian civilizations retrain fallen Monks from the Town Center instead of ransoming them.
From The WarChiefs expansion, European civilizations and the Mexicans in the Definitive Edition can select to revolt from the Industrial Age. Revolting will also increase the Town Center's build limit to 10 and makes them no longer necessary to support population (unless when revolting to Canada, Finland, or South Africa in the Definitive Edition).
The total attack of a Town Center are calculated on the following formula:
Where A is the total attack, B is the Town Center's base attack, and G is the number of villagers garrisoned in the Town Center.
Players can garrison up to 50 villagers, but the attack will only increase with the first 10. For example, having 8 Settlers garrisoned (at a base attack of 9) grants a total attack of 72.
- The Portuguese receive a free Covered Wagon every time they Age up until the Industrial Age, allowing them to have up to four Town Centers. With the Donatarios Home City Card, they can build two more, totaling of six Town Centers.
- The Haudenosaunee are the only civilization with access to both Town Ceremony and a card boosting their Town Center attack ("Great House").
|Coureur des Bois||120 food||80|
|Buttercup the Pet Cougar||100 food||12||All|
|Native Scout||90 wood||1||∞|
|Shaolin Master||300 coin|
|Barbary Warrior**||100 food||1|
|Karelian Jaeger**||100 wood||99|
|Cruzob Infantry**||80 food,
|Trek Wagon**||250 wood||–||10|
- Units with an asterisk (*) are added in The WarChiefs; units with two asterisks (**) are added in the Definitive Edition.
- Ottoman Town Centers automatically spawn Settlers with a limit of 25 (45 with Galata Tower District, 70 with Topkapi, 99 with Tanzimat).
- Coureur des Bois replaces Settler for the French.
- Buttercup the Pet Cougar requires the Tupi Animal Lore technology to be trained at Town Centers.
- Native Scout requires the Advanced Scout Home City Card to be trained at Town Centers.
- Revolutionary replaces Settler for revolutionary nations except Canada and South Africa.
- Brazilian Revolutionaries (Voluntarios da Patria) are automatically spawned by Town Centers (9 every 146 seconds).
- Barbary Warrior, Californio, Cruzob Infantry, Filibuster, Karelian Jaeger, and Cuerudo replaces Revolutionary for Barbary States, California, Maya, Baja California, Finland, and Mexico, respectively.
- Haitian Town Centers automatically spawn Pirates every 48 seconds.
|Spawns 6 Militiamen/ Minutemen|
|Spawns 15 Militiamen/ 16 Minutemen; Requires the Home City Card/ "Minutemen Companies"|
|Sentry Uprising||80 food,
|Spawns 4 Sentries|
|Town Defense||Spawns 4 Irregulars|
|Sentry Revolt||Spawns 4 Sentries; Requires the "Enlist Irregulars" Home City Card|
|City Defense||Spawns 4 Irregulars; Requires the "Enlist Irregulars" Home City Card|
|Kebele Chitet||Spawns 4 Levied Spearmen; Requires the "Chitet" Home City Card|
|Woreda Chitet||Spawns 4 Levied Bowmen; Requires the "Chitet" Home City Card|
|Aztec Scouting Party||450 food||Ships 3 Jaguar Prowl Knights|
|Haudenosaunee Scouting Party||500 food||Ships 5 Tomahawks|
|Inca Scouting Party||600 food||Ships 5 Plumed Spearmen|
|Lakota Tokala Soldiers||1,500 food||Ships 1 Tokala Soldier for every 3 minutes the game has passed, up to 30 minutes|
|Aztec Raiding Party||450 food,
|Ships 6 Jaguar Prowl Knights|
|Haudenosaunee Raiding Party||500 food,
|Ships 10 Tomahawks|
|Inca Raiding Party||600 food,
|Ships 12 Plumed Spearmen|
|Aztec War Party||450 food,
|Ships 12 Jaguar Prowl Knights|
|Haudenosaunee War Party||500 food,
|Ships 15 Tomahawks|
|Inca War Party||600 food,
|Ships 20 Plumed Spearmen|
|Fortified Cities||3,000 influence||Town Centers, Palaces, and Mountain Monasteries get +50% hit points|
|Town Centers, Palaces, and Universities get +50% hit points|
|Immigrants||2,000 coin||Supports 100 population without the need of Town Centers and Houses/Longhouses/Villages/Shrines/Torp/Kancha Houses; Unit train time -10%; Automatically trained units spawn 5% faster|
|Strangers' Quarters||2,000 influence||Supports 100 population without the need of Town Centers and Huts; Unit train time -10%; Automatically trained units spawn 5% faster|
|Blockade||Variable||Stops all enemies from receiving Home City shipments|
|Spies||See enemy LOS|
| Legendary Native Warriors
|Upgrades native warriors to Legendary/Exalted (+50% hit points and attack)|
- Blockade and Spies cost 100 and 75 coin, respectively for every enemy unit in the map.
- Immigrants is not available to the Lakota.
- The United States can repeatedly research Levy/Conscription but with a global cooldown of 160 seconds.
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Infantry, cavalry, villagers (only when garrisoned), ships|
|Weak vs.||Artillery, Monitors|
|Hit points|| Fortified Cities (+50%, Africans only)|
Flying Buttress (+20%)
|Attack||Heated Shot (+1.5x multiplier vs. ships)|
|Sight||Gas Lighting (+4, European civilizations only)|
|Construction cost|| Cree Textile Craftsmanship (-25% wood)|
Tupi Forest Burning (-20% wood)
|Other||Tupi Animal Lore (train Buttercup the Pet Cougars)|
|Penalties|| Code Napoleon (+50% cost, French only)|
Customized Merc Weapons (+30% cost, John Black's Mercenaries only)
Home City Cards
- Click for a list of Home City Cards related to the Town Center
- Green: TEAM Shipment that is sent to each player in a team
|Improved Buildings||Buildings get +40% hit points||10|
- "Improved Buildings" is available at a level 1 Home City for the Lakota.
- The Indians have "TEAM Improved Buildings" instead of "Improved Buildings".
|Enlist Irregulars||Town Centers get +50% attack and can use City Defense and Sentry Revolt||1|
|Land Reforms||Villagers and rickshaws build buildings 50% faster; Buildings' build bounty doubled (also +1 Villager for the Indians)||10|
- The Chinese have "Boxer Rebellion" instead of "Enlist Irregulars".
|Boxer Rebellion||Town Centers get +50% attack and Irregulars and Sentries no longer lose hit points over time||1|
|Chitet||Town Centers get +50% attack; Kebele Chitet and Woreda Chitet available at the Town Center|
|Gondarine Architecture||Buildings get +25% hit points; Town Centers and Palaces get +50% hit points; Walls and Mountain Monasteries get +100% hit points|
|Town Militia||Town Centers get +50% attack and can use Conscription||1|
|TEAM Teutonic Town Center||Town Centers get +30% hit points and +50% attack||25|
|Great House||Upgrade Town Centers into Great Houses with +50% attack and cost -25%||10|
|TEAM Improved Buildings||Buildings get +25% hit points||10|
|Mughal Architecture||Buildings except wonders cost -20% wood and build time -50% +1 Villager||40|
|Palace of Iturbide||Town Centers gain a bombard attack that can be used even when not garrisoned by villagers|
|TEAM Nuevo México Territory||Ships 1 Covered Wagon; Town Center build limit +1; Existing and new Town Centers spawn 1 Post Wagon|
|Tlaxcala Alliance||Conquistador, Smokeless Powder, Christian Schools, and Flying Buttress available at Native Embassy; Aztec Scouting/Raiding/War Party available at Town Center; Ships 1 Native Embassy Travois|
|Donatarios||Town Center build limit +2||10|
|Sevastopol||Town Center, Blockhouse, Wall, and Fort build time -50%||40|
|Colonial Estancias||Town Centers support 70 population||25|
- "Colonial Estancias" is also available to the Mexicans.
|Missouri River Expeditions||Ships 1 Covered Wagon; Town Center build limit +1; The General can summon Hot Air Balloons|
|TEAM Louisiana Purchase||Ships 1 Covered Wagon; Existing and new Town Centers spawn 6 Bisons; Costs 750 coin|
|TEAM Alaska Purchase||Ships 6 Polar Bears; Town Centers spawn 1 Silver Prospector Wagon; Costs 2,500 coin|
|Plymouth Settlers||Ships 1 Native Scout and 300 food; Each Town Center spawns 3 Pilgrims|
|Culpeper Minutemen||Minutemen spawn twice as fast and hit point degeneration rate -50%; Each Town Center spawns 6 Minutemen|
|California Gold Rush||Ships 1 Gold Prospector Wagon; Town Centers automatically spawn 1 Settler every 72 seconds instead of training them|
Age of Empires III
- Town Centers cost 600 wood, give 120 XP when built and 240 XP when destroyed.
- Settlers cannot build Town Centers.
- Town Centers cost 500 wood and give 200 XP when destroyed.
- Settlers can now build Town Centers.
- With update 9476, Town Centers give 100 XP when built.
The African Royals
- Despite having no access to gunpowder, the Aztec Town Center defends itself with gunfire against land units and cannon fire against ships. This was not corrected in the Definitive Edition, where the same also occurs with the Inca Town Center.
- The Town Center is also able to garrison Fishing Boats, only if it is close to shore. This is due to the fact that the Fishing Boats have the villager tag (
AbstractVillagerin the game files), which allows them to be garrisoned by the Town Center as well as the Settlers/Villagers.
|“||Churches, taverns, and town halls were all important colonial centers where leaders and citizens met to discuss the issues facing their towns and colonies. Carpenter's Hall in Philadelphia was the site of several important events in the history of the American colonies. One, the First Continental Congress, was the meeting of the thirteen colonies in the fall of 1774 to discuss their grievances with British governance and just what they could do about it.|
This historic hall also housed Benjamin Franklin's Library Company and the First and Second Banks of the United States.