|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires III: The WarChiefs. For the native unit, see Iroquois Tomahawk.|
|“||Haudenosaunee warrior that hurls tomahawks into battle. Good against cavalry.||”|
The Tomahawk is the Haudenosaunee equivalent to the Musketeer, a ranged heavy infantry with a strong melee bonus against cavalry. It is fairly cheap and easy to mass, making it among the most commonly trained units for Haudenosaunee players.
Tomahawks have a higher melee damage than most other Musketeer units (exceeded only by the Sepoy and Janissary), but a lower base ranged attack than any other one. This can be compensated for by the use of the Iroquois' extensive Home City upgrades for infantry units, making them potentially among the most powerful heavy infantry available in the Commerce Age. They are incredibly powerful against melee cavalry and most melee infantry.
Tomahawks are unique among Musketeer units in that they have a range upgrade – Lacrosse. This brings their ranged attack up to 14 range, equal to a Strelet. This can give them a slight advantage in crowded fights.
They combine well with either Kanya Horsemen or Aenna in the Commerce Age, and with Light Cannon in the Industrial Age. They are less useful in the Fortress Age, having been superseded by Musket Riders, though they can be used alongside Mantlets or Forest Prowlers as a meatshield to bodyblock against cavalry charges.
|Elite Tomahawks||200 wood,
|Upgrades Tomahawks to Elite (+25% hit points and attack)|
|Champion Tomahawks||400 wood,
|Upgrades Tomahawks to Champion (+25% hit points and attack); requires Elite Tomahawks|
|Legendary Tomahawks||1,500 wood,
|Upgrades Tomahawks to Legendary (+50% hit points and attack); requires Champion Tomahawks|
As Tomahawks are unique to the Haudenosaunee, only technologies that they have access to are shown in the following table:
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Cavalry, light infantry, heavy infantry|
|Weak vs.||Skirmishers, archers, artillery|
|Hit points|| Cree Tanning (+5%)|
Navajo Weaving (+5%)
|Attack|| Yoga (+5%)|
Smokeless Powder (+30% siege attack)
Clenched Fist (+30% melee attack)
|Speed|| Incan Road-building (+20%)|
Apache Endurance (+5%)
|Creation speed||Incan Chasquis Messengers (-25%)|
|Other|| Iroquois Scouting Party (ships 5 Tomahawks)|
Iroquois Raiding Party (ships 10 Tomahawks)
Iroquois War Party (ships 15 Tomahawks)
Meritocracy (-20% upgrade cost)
Home City Cards
As Tomahawks are unique to the Haudenosaunee, only their cards and other civilizations' TEAM cards are shown in the following tables:
|Click for a list of Home City Cards related to the Tomahawk|
Green: TEAM Shipment that is sent to each player in a team
- With update 23511, the Tomahawk is tagged as Musket Infantry.
- With update 38254, Tomahawks cost 75 food, 20 wood and train in 28 seconds.
- The playable civilization Tomahawk inflicts ranged damage akin to a gunpowder unit, while the Native and Treasure version deals melee damage at range similar to the Throwing Axeman in Age of Empires II.
- The Tomahawk is strangely classified as a gunpowder unit despite of not using any kind of gunpowder weapons.
- In The WarChiefs, when the Tomahawk performed the ranged attack, it left a trail of smoke, as if it had shot with a firearm. This error was corrected in the Definitive Edition.
- Since update 23511, the Tomahawk is tagged as Musket Infantry, but it does not wield a musket. The same occurs with the Bolas Warrior, the Dacoit and the Pistolero.
|“||The Tomahawk is a type of axe used by Native Americans. It has a wooden shaft and a stone, iron, or brass head. A popular version of the Tomahawk could double as a smoking pipe, blending together symbols of war and peace. Iroquois men traded furs for these ingenious pipe tomahawks. Very ornate versions of these tomahawks were given as gifts to Native American leaders and were fashionable to both carry and wield.||”|