Thumb Ring is a technology in Age of Empires II: The Conquerors available at the Archery Range upon reaching the Castle Age. Once researched, all archers (foot archers and Cavalry Archers) are able to fire faster and with 100% accuracy at non-moving targets (it does not affect gunpowder units).
The Ethiopian Archer line already fires 18% faster due to their civilization bonus and have access to Thumb Ring. As a result, they have the fastest firing foot archers in the game. Mongol Cavalry Archers already fire 25% faster due to their civilization bonus and have access to Thumb Ring. As a result, they have the fastest firing Cavalry Archers in the game.
Cavalry Archers and War Wagons fire 11% faster; the Archer line, Mangudai, Camel Archers, Genoese Crossbowmen, Elephant Archers, Plumed Archers, Rattan Archers, and Kipchaks fire 18% faster; and Chu Ko Nu fire 25% faster.
The ‡ indicates Thumb Ring was previously available for this civilization.
All units listed below benefit from Thumb Ring. The Longbowman (denoted with a *) does too, but the Britons do not get Thumb Ring. Hence, this is only relevant in games with Full Tech Tree checked. The War Wagon and Genoese Crossbowman do not increase their accuracy as they are already at 100%.
|Archer unit||Rate of Fire increase||Accuracy increase|
|Heavy Cavalry Archer||+11%||yes|
|Chu Ko Nu||+25%||yes|
|Elite Chu Ko Nu||+25%||yes|
|Elite War Wagon||+11%||no|
|Elite Plumed Archer||+18%||yes|
|Elite Elephant Archer||+18%||yes|
|Elite Genoese Crossbowman||+18%||no|
|Elite Camel Archer||+18%||yes|
|Elite Rattan Archer||+18%||yes|
- Chinese: Thumb Ring is 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: Researching Thumb Ring is 30% faster.
- Tatars: Thumb Ring is free.
- A team containing Britons: Researching Thumb Ring is 20% faster.
- Vikings: Can research Thumb Ring.
- Incas: Cannot research Thumb Ring.
The African Kingdoms
- Incas: Thumb Ring added to their technology tree.
- Portuguese: With update 42848, Thumb Ring is researched 30% faster.
- Tatars: With update 36202, Thumb Ring is free.
Dawn of the Dukes
- Neither of the civilizations introduced in Lords of the West can research Thumb Ring.
- As of update 56005, Vikings are the only civilization to lose access to Thumb Ring after an update and Incas are the only civilization to gain access to it.
|“||The typical archer of the Middle Ages drew the bowstring back to his chest to fire. English longbowmen had the ability to draw back to their cheek, increasing the power and distance of their shots. Archers from Asia developed a thumb ring that made it possible to draw back to their ear or beyond. When this improvement was added to their already very powerful composite bows, their weapons proved quite effective.||”|
|—The Conquerors manual|
- Since update 56005.