Thumb Ring is a technology in Age of Empires II: The Conquerors available at the Archery Range upon reaching the Castle Age. Once researched, all archers are able to fire faster and with 100% accuracy at an immobile target.
Ethiopian foot archers already fire +18% faster due to their civilization bonus and have access to Thumb Ring. As a result, they have the fastest firing foot archers in the game. Mongol Cavalry Archers already fire +25% faster due to their civilization bonus and have access to Thumb Ring. As a result, they have the fastest firing Cavalry Archers in the game.
Affected units[edit | edit source]
All units listed below benefit from Thumb Ring. The Longbowman (denoted with a *) does too, but the Britons do not get Thumb Ring. Hence, this is only relevant in games with Full Tech Tree checked.
|Archer unit||Rate of Fire increase||Accuracy increase|
|Heavy Cavalry Archer||+11%||yes|
|Chu Ko Nu||+25%||yes|
|Elite Chu Ko Nu||+25%||yes|
|Elite War Wagon||+11%||no|
|Elite Plumed Archer||+18%||yes|
|Elite Elephant Archer||+18%||no|
|Elite Genoese Crossbowman||+18%||no|
|Elite Camel Archer||+18%||yes|
|Elite Rattan Archer||+18%||yes|
Civilization bonuses[edit | edit source]
- Chinese: Thumb Ring is 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: Researching Thumb Ring is 30% faster.
- Tatars: Thumb Ring is free
Team bonuses[edit | edit source]
- A team containing Britons: Researching Thumb Ring is 20% faster.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Forgotten[edit | edit source]
- Incas: Cannot research Thumb Ring.
The African Kingdoms[edit | edit source]
- Incas: Thumb Ring added to their technology tree.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Since update 36202, Thumb Ring is free for Tatars.
- Portuguese: With update 42848, all technologies are researched 30% faster.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Neither of the civilizations introduced in Lords of the West can research Thumb Ring.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||The typical archer of the Middle Ages drew the bowstring back to his chest to fire. English longbowmen had the ability to draw back to their cheek, increasing the power and distance of their shots. Archers from Asia developed a thumb ring that made it possible to draw back to their ear or beyond. When this improvement was added to their already very powerful composite bows, their weapons proved quite effective.||”|
|—The Conquerors manual|