Theocracy is a technology in Age of Empires II: The Conquerors that can be researched at the Monastery once the Imperial Age is reached. Once researched, only one Monk or Missionary in a group needs to rest after a successful conversion instead of all of them.
Theocracy is a critical technology to research if groups of Monks or Missionaries are regularly used for conversion, especially given its low cost. In conjunction with Illumination, a group of Monks/Missionaries can become a dangerous threat if used wisely. However, utilizing this requires rather heavy micromanagement.
- Aztecs: Theocracy gives Monks +5 HP.
- Burmese: Theocracy is 50% cheaper.
- Chinese: Theocracy is 20% cheaper.
- Lithuanians: Researching Theocracy is 20% faster.
- Neither of the two civilzations introduced in Lords of the West have access to Theocracy.
- The text of the Definitive Edition icon for Theocracy reads, "in principio creavit Deus Caelum et terram," which is Latin for "in the beginning, God created the Heaven and the earth" -- the first verse of the Book of Genesis.
|“||Civilizations that were a theocracy, or nearly so, were governed by officials thought to be receiving divine guidance. When the people believed this to be true, the government could direct them to carry out almost any command. In such a society, the religious leaders and monks had great power. When in contact with civilizations of weaker religious beliefs, there could occur a rapid spread of conversion.||”|
|—The Conquerors manual|