- Wallachians (Slavs) is located just south of the player's starting position. They have a Town Center, some Mills, and villagers outside and inside of Giurgiu. After the player takes control of Giurgiu, they will resign and give all their units and buildings to the player.
Ally → enemy → ally → enemy Edit
- Ottoman Army (Turks) is the first opponent the player will encounter. They are in control of Giurgiu, a walled town, which is in the middle of the map. The army will arrive the forest in the northwest at the 90th second, and the player is supposed to ambush them and attack. Later the player has to send Vlad Dracula and four soldiers to capture Giurgiu by garrisoning into their Castle (the diplomacy is 'ally' again after the ambush battle and while Dracula is on the way to Giurgiu). If either the castle is taken down, or the guards in Giurgiu discovered Dracula's plot, the diplomacy is set to 'enemy' again. There are a few Guard Towers and a Bombard Tower in Giurgiu, which the player can garrison either Dracula or any of the four soldiers to take over the tower. Besides that, Giurgiu has a Town Center, a Barracks, a Market, a Blacksmith, two Docks, several Houses, as well as two Mills outside the town. The player will take over the entire Giurgiu after defeating the Ottoman guards in Giurgiu.
- Darstor (Turks) is located in the southeast of the map, and being the primary force of the five Ottoman towns to be subdued by the player, after capturing Giurgiu. They rely on Orsova (wood ) , Rahova (gold ), Novoselo (food ) and Obluciza (stone ) for resources, in order to build a formidable force. To defeat them, destroy their Castle and Mosque.
Enemies to allies Edit
Each of the following towns will become 'allies' with the player and pay a token of tributes after their main building is destroyed.
These towns are supplying Darstor with resources to build up their military, and subduing each of these towns would sabotage the supply.
- Novoselo (Slavs/Bulgarians in the Definitive Edition) is located in the east of the map, on the south/right bank of the Danube River. They supply food for Darstor, which is crucial to build an army. To subdue them, destroy their Town Center.
- Obluciza (Slavs) is located in the east, somewhere north of Novoselo. They supply stone for Darstor. To subdue them, destroy their Castle.
- Orsova (Magyars) is located in the southwest of the map, near the spot where the Cerna River meets the Danube River on the left. They are the greatest threat out of the four supply towns, as they frequently invade Giurgiu with Knights and Cavalry Archers. They supply wood for Darstor, which is crucial to build ships. To subdue them, destroy their castle.
- Rahova (Slavs/Bulgarians in the Definitive Edition) is located in the south, on the right bank of the Danube River. They supply gold for Darstor, which is crucial to create Janissaries. To subdue them, destroy their Town Center.
Vlad Dracula is leading his army on the path in the northwest of the map, discussing their plan of an assault on the Ottoman army. The Hand Cannoneers suggest to have them ambush in the forest on the eastern side of the path so that the enemies would not know what hits them, while the Hussars suggest to ambush on the western side of the path and prepare to assault from there. Note that the Ottoman army would arrive in 90 seconds time, and if the player has any unit standing in the middle of the path, the ambush would fail and the casualty would be greater. The Ottoman army will have two Bombard Cannons which will come last, though easy to be taken down, they are a great threat to opponents standing close together. The player shall place all ranged units together in the east, while all melee units in the west.
After a bloody fight that annihilated the Ottoman army, Dracula is set to take down Ottoman-controlled Giurgiu, in the middle of the map. The player would have to travel southeast along the path and see a Trade Carts, which the player is to chase after and nab it. Dracula will disguise himself as a trader (technically a King) while there would be two Pikemen and two hand cannoneers hiding in the Trade Cart. The player shall bring both Dracula and the Trade Cart into Giurgiu. The rest of Dracula's army would be left behind, waiting for Dracula's signal.
Upon entering Giurgiu, the Trade Cart will be deleted and the four soldiers will come out. Dracula manages to enter, with his ability to speak Turkish. While the player's aim is to capture the Castle, the player shall capture the towers by garrisoning any of the five units into each tower. However the player must try not to have the four soldiers together, as if they enter the corner on the right of the Town Center and there is any Ottoman soldier there, they would raise suspicion of the Ottoman guard. If Dracula himself gets near the broken bridge where there is an Ottoman Cavalier, the cavalier will also be suspicious, as the 'trader' looks familiar to him. If any of the player's unit attempts to get near the castle while the Janissary is there, he would be stopped by the Janissary and being ordered to turn back. Whenever the player raises suspicion by any Ottoman guard, the unit must leave the sight as soon as possible or else after 15 seconds the Ottomans will get alarmed and begin fighting the player. Though technically optional, it is advisable that the player captures the tower in the middle of the river, on the eastern side of the broken bridge, in order to take down the Janissary banner and distract the enraged Janissaries, so it would be much easier to capture the castle.
As the player captures or destroys the castle, signal would be sent to Dracula's army and they would rush to Giurgiu, and the Ottomans would be alarmed and another fighting would be on. Therefore, the player must defeat the Ottoman guards in order to capture the entire Giurgiu. The player should destroy the two Battering Rams first, as they are a great threat to the castle and towers, and the player must keep the castle standing till the end of the game.
Once Giurgiu is captured, the player prepares to conquer the five remaining Ottoman towns - Darstor, Orsova, Rahova, Novoselo, and Obluciza. Darstor is the main force of the town, but must rely on the other four towns for resources. Therefore, the player should conquer the four smaller towns to sabotage the enemy supplies. By conquering any of the four supply towns, they will beg for peace with the player and pay a token of tribute. Orsova is supplying wood for Darstor, Rahova is supplying gold, Novoselo is supplying food, and Obluciza is supplying stone. The player should take down Obluciza and Rahova as soon as possible, to mine in their abundance of Stone Mines and Gold Mines. After the four supply towns are conquered, Darstor will be weakened enough for a direct attack to succeed.
Definitive Edition strategy Edit
In the Definitive Edition, neither the ambush nor the stealth segment exists. Instead, Vlad must capture three Bombard Cannons to destroy the Gate, towers, and Castle. The Ottomans have only a minor presence in the town, making it trivial to defeat them once their fortifications are destroyed.
In contrast to the more straightforward opening act, the second part of this scenario is significantly harder in the Definitive Edition, as all five of the player's opponents will aggressively raid the player as long as they're standing. While the player's initial Castle will give the player a slight buffer at first, they'll need to hastily militarize and further fortify Giurgiu while quickly building up an economy. Eliminate Rahova early - their base is hard to reach due to the several warships and incoming waves of Ottoman troops guarding the bridge, but the town itself is weak enough that the player shouldn't have to worry. Afterwards, quickly build up a large army to destroy either Obluciza or Orsova. Obluciza is much stronger in the remake, due to their diverse army of Boyars, Monks, archers, and siege weapons, so the player won't be able to hold everybody off for long if they're not defeated soon enough. Orsova is equally threatening, especially if they get an opportunity to take control of the river with their navy or get a chance to reach the Imperial Age - walling them in while dealing with Obluciza will help buy the player time to build up a strong force to deal with them. By the time only the technologically weak Novoselo remains of Darstor's allies, the player should be ready to invade Darstor. Be sure to take advantage of the Slavs' Druzhina technology, which will cause Darstor's Heavy Camel Riders and Hussars to drop like flies to massed Halberdiers. Boyars are a good counter to their Bombard Cannons and Elite Janissaries, but the player can rely on Hussars instead if low on gold. Unlike the original version of the scenario, Darstor will not surrender until all of their units and buildings are destroyed, so the player should take out their military buildings early to slow down their constant influx of new soldiers. Be sure to pick up the Relic in the western part of the map (where the ambush occurred in the HD version) - that extra gold will be needed in the long run.