The Ambrosian Republic is the fourth scenario of the Sforza campaign in Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten. It is based on the namesake Golden Ambrosian Republic, when Duke Filippo Maria Visconti of Milan has died and the Duchy of Milan has been replaced with a republic. This scenario is depicting the capture of Pavia, the siege of Piacenza, and the siege of Caravaggio.
Francesco Sforza is now the Captain-General of the Ambrosian Republic, most of the nearby Italian towns are on the Venetians' side, while Cremona remains loyal to Milan (the Republic), and Pavia is neutral in the conflict before Sforza could subjugate it for the republic. After Sforza gains Pavia's allegiance, the player is set to reconquer Piacenza by destroying four of their towers. Then the player is to visit Cremona, before preparing to besiege Treviglio, Vailate, and Mozzanica (all under Venetian control). Later, the player is to defeat the Venetian navy invading Cremona, before besieging Caravaggio.
- Cremona (Italians) is located in the southeast, south of the Po River. It is the only loyal vassal city to Milan, and once the player reaches there, the player will have access to the Archery Range, which clicking on it would produce a hand cannoneer for 50 gold each. Later, after conquering the three Venetian towns, the player is to defend Cremona from the Venetian navy invading from the east of the Po River.
- Locals (Italians) has a village in the middle of the map, where after the player visits Cremona, would have access to their Barracks and Archery Range, which clicking on them would respectively produce Long Swordsmen (40 gold each) and Genoese Crossbowmen (30 gold each).
Ally, potential enemy Edit
- Pavia (Italians) is located in the west of the map, and at the point where the Ticino River meets the Po River. It is neutral in the conflict between Milan (Ambrosian Republic) and Venice. In the beginning, Francesco Sforza is to visit their Castle and persuade them to join him, in order to gain access to their Siege Workshop, which clicking on it would produce a bombard cannon for 200 gold each. At this point, the player would also take over their Bombard Cannons which would immediately start bombarding Piacenza. In order to prevent the Pavesi from revolting, the player must keep at least 5 units garrisoned in their castle.
- Rebels (Italians)
- Venetians (Italians) are the nemesis of Milan, they are in control of three towns - Treviglio, Vailate, and Mozzanica, where the player is to destroy their castles, and the player may optionally destroy their blacksmiths to obtain upgrades. Later, they will have navy attacking Cremona from the east of the Po River.
Enemy to ally Edit
- Caravaggio (Italians) is located in the north of the map, pro-Venice, and being the strongest enemy in this scenario. After defeating the Venetian navy, the player is to take down their castle and make them surrender.
- Piacenza (Italians) is located in the southwest, south of the Po River, and being a former vassal of Milan defected to Venice. The player is to reconquer Piacenza by destroying any four of their watch towers. Since then, the player would have access to the stable (marked with flags), which clicking on it would produce a knight for 100 gold each.
Francesco Sforza is leading a band of Condottieri and Hand Cannoneers from the west, and Sforza is to travel to the Castle in Pavia to persuade them for their allegiance. Then the player would take control of Pavesi Bombard Cannons at the south gate, and they would start bombarding Piacenza. The player is to reconquer Piacenza by destroying four Piacentini Watch Towers.
Throughout the game, the player must garrison five untis in the Pavesi castle at all time, in order to maintain their loyalty and have access to their Siege Workshop, which clicking on it would produce a bombard cannon for 200 gold each. Otherwise, the Pavesi will revolt against the player.
Once the player reconquers Piacenza, the player would have access to the Stable (marked with flags), which clicking on it would produce a Knight for 100 gold each. At this point, the player shall prepare for the siege on the Venetian-controlled Treviglio, Vailate, and Mozzanica, aiming to destroy their castles. Additionally, the player may opt to destroy their Blacksmiths in order to acquire some blacksmith technologies.
Then the player is set to visit Cremona, in order to get access to the Archery Range, which clicking on it would produce a hand cannoneer for 50 gold each. At this point, the player would also gain access to the Locals' Barracks and archery range, which clicking on them would respectively produce Long Swordsmen (40 gold each) and Genoese Crossbowmen (30 gold each).
After all the three Venetian castles are destroyed, the Venetian admiral Andrea Quirini will bring a fleet of War Galleys and Cannon Galleons to siege Cremona, and the player is to annihilate the Venetian navy. Though the player cannot build a navy in this scenario, the player can easily defend Cremona by garrisoning Genoese crossbowmen in the Cremonesi watch towers.
After defeating the Venetian navy, the player is set to destroy the castle in Caravaggio. They are very well-defended, and being the strongest enemy in this scenario. Once the player enters the city, there will be Venetian relief force, consisting of Champions, Condottieri, and hand cannoneers, coming from the northeast of the city.
As the Caravaggini castle is being destroyed, they would surrender, and Sforza must go to the torch on the road in the northeast of Caravaggio to Brescia, in order to win the scenario.