Technology is the method of advancing a player's civilization in the Age of Empires series. Once researched, technologies grant permanent (with very few exceptions) improvement. Technologies are usually grouped into a few categories:
- Ages - Advance in Age. Advancing to a new Age automatically unlocks a variety of new features, including new units, buildings, and technologies.
- Unit upgrades - Upgrade (usually military) units. The upgraded unit costs the same as its predecessor, but is stronger, sometimes even significantly.
Example: The Camel Rider upgrades to the Heavy Camel Rider (in Age of Empires II).
- Unit improvements - Improve unit attributes such as attack strength, HP, armor, or speed.
Example: Scale Mail Armor improves infantry armor (in Age of Empires II).
- Economy improvements - Improve the player's economy by making their Villagers or Fishing Boats carry more or gather faster.
Example: Log Flume increases the wood gathering rate by +20% (in Age of Empires III).
- Building upgrades - Upgrade buildings. The upgraded building costs the same as its predecessor, but is stronger, sometimes even significantly.
Example: The Sentry Tower upgrades to the Watch Tower (in Age of Mythology).
- Building improvements - Improve building attributes such as HP, work rate, or range.
Example: Architecture improves building HP and decreases construction time (in Age of Empires).
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.