In Age of Empires II, Subotai is represented by an unusually fast Heavy Cavalry Archer hero in the fourth and sixth scenarios of the Genghis Khan campaign. He is also available in the Scenario Editor. Technologies that benefit cavalry archers also benefit Subotai, but he is not affected by some other bonuses. As a hero, he cannot be converted and can regenerate health (since The Conquerors).
- Subotai has the highest base speed of any non-cheat unit in the game.
- According to Mongolian sources, Subotai was a Uriankhai, a word used both for the Mongol-speaking "Forest People" of the Altai mountains and the Turkic-speaking Tuvans and Yakuts of Siberia. This northern origin is referenced in the cutscenes as Subotai being "of the Reindeer people".
- His honorific Baatur (or Baghatur) means "Hero" or "Valiant Warrior" in Mongolian. Western ambassadors translated it as "Knight".
- In the campaign, Subotai always appears with untrainable Hunting Wolves. This is likely a reference to him being called the "Dog of War" of Genghis Khan.
- It is sometimes said that Subotai was so obese that he could not ride and had to be moved in a wagon, but this is a modern invention. It was also claimed that he could not ride as well as his companions raised in the steppe. Both are ironic compared to his depiction as the fastest mounted unit in the game, as well as his historical talent to strike fast and far away. For example, he devised the campaign that destroyed the armies of Poland and Hungary within two days of each other in 1241, 500 kilometers apart, which are the basis of the scenarios The Promise and Pax Mongolia.