|This article is about the building in Age of Empires II. For the building in other games of the series, see Stable.|
“Used to create and improve cavalry.”—Age of Empires II description
Tactics and placement Edit
For cavalry-based civilizations, Stables are essential buildings. Having at least two in the Feudal Age already will greatly help to rush an opponent with Scout Cavalry as in a rushing tactic timing is essential and producing units takes its time. Another very popular rushing strategy is the Knight rush, which also required at least two Stables, preferably three or four.
As with other military buildings, having Stables near an enemy's settlement helps to attack more effectively as the trained units will be created close to the enemy, cutting off the distance. In the Stables particular case this is optional though, as cavalry has fast movement speed.
Stables can also aid in fortifications as cavalry can take down siege units with ease. So it is advisable to have several Stables within a fortification just for the emergency.
Trainable units and technologies Edit
Clicking on the icon links to the corresponding page.
Availability grid Edit
The following table shows the availability of the units and technologies for every civilization. Unique units are not shown in the table. An 'X' in the last column indicates that all units and technologies are available.
Further statistics Edit
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Hit points|| Masonry (+10%)|
|Armor|| Masonry (+1/+1, +3 building armor)|
Architecture (+1/+1, +3 building armor)
|Line of Sight|| Town Watch (+4)|
Town Patrol (+4)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Construction speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
|Work rate||Conscription (+33%)|
|Other||Marauders (allows creation of Tarkans, Huns only)|
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Burmese: Researching Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Byzantines: Stables have +20%/+30%/+40% HP in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age. Town Watch is free.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Stables are 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Khmer: Stables don't require a Barracks.
- Malians: Stables are 15% cheaper.
- Persians: Researching Town Watch and Town Patrol is 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Spanish: Stables are built 30% faster.
- Vietnamese: Conscription is free.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Huns: Stables work 20% faster.
- A team containing Malians: Researching Masonry, Architecture, and Treadmill Crane is 80% faster.
- A team containing Slavs: Stables provide +5 population.
The Forgotten Edit
- In The Conquerors, the Native American civilizations did not have a Stable model. If given a Stable in the Scenario Editor, it would have the Central European architectural style and be unable to train any units. In The Forgotten, they got an own Stable model and can actually produce cavalry if Full Tech Tree is checked.
- The African, Indian, and Southeast Asian Stables are the only three architectural styles to have mounts other than horses in the model: The African and Indian ones have a camel, while the Southeast Asian one has an elephant.
- The Southeast Asian Stable model is also the only one where the mounts inside have animations.
“As the Middle Ages continued, the rise in importance of mounted warriors created demand for larger numbers of horses, which was bred and maintained at the stable. A variety of horses were bred, including horses for long-distance travel, fast horses for quick movement, and the heavy charger. Scout and light cavalry units needed quick horses with lots of stamina. Heavy chargers of great strength were required to carry fully armored knights into a charge. Mounted warriors trained at the stable as well, learning the skills of fighting from horseback with spear, lance, sword, flail, mace, and hammer. In other parts of the world, camels and elephants were bred and maintained for mounted combat.”
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|House · Monastery · Wonder|
|Economy||Town Center · Dock · Fish Trap · Mill · Farm · Market · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · Feitoria|
|Research||Blacksmith · University|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Siege Workshop · Castle · Harbor|
|Towers||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Walls||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|