Despite lacking access to Squires, the Celts have the fastest moving infantry in the game due to their civilization bonus that gives their infantry +15% speed. The only exception is the Spearman line from Lithuanians, which benefits from their civilization bonus and Squires.
Civilizations bonuses Edit
- Chinese: Squires is 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Goths: With Perfusion researched, researching Squires is 100% faster.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Goths: Researching Squires is 20% faster.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Squires cost 200F.
- Franks: Cannot research Squires.
The Forgotten Edit
- Squires costs 100F.
- Franks: Squires added to their technology tree.
"Prior to becoming a knight, young men put in a long apprenticeship as a squire. Squires were assigned to a knight for their training in weapons and social graces. In return they cared for the knight's equipment and horses, dressed him for combat, guarded him, and accompanied him into battle. All knights were squires at an early age, but not all squires became knights. Squires without noble birth, financial backing, or the support of superior lord might live out their life without becoming a knight. Squires fought alongside the knights, although their weapons and armor were of a lower standard. The support of squires made armies more effective."