|This article is about the building in Age of Empires II. For the similar building in other games of the series, see Siege Workshop.|
"Used to build siege weapons."—Age of Empires II description
Tactics and placement Edit
The Siege Workshop is an essential building for all players as land siege engines (with the exception of Trebuchet and Petard) are created here. Siege Workshop units can rarely act on their own and need protection from other units, so it is advisable to train other units first.
The work rate of the Siege Workshop is slow and cannot be improved, so any player who wants to create Siege Workshop units in any relevant numbers should have at least four of them. It is advisable to build Siege Workshops near an enemy's settlement if playing offensively as this will cut off distance, especially considering all siege weapons move really slowly.
Trainable units Edit
Clicking on the icon links to the corresponding page.
Availability grid Edit
The following table shows the availability of the units for every civilization. Units that are available to all civilizations are not shown in the table. An 'X' in the last column indicates that all units are available.
Further statistics Edit
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Hit points|| Masonry (+10%)|
|Armor|| Masonry (+1/+1, +3 building armor)|
Architecture (+1/+1, +3 building armor)
|Line of Sight|| Town Watch (+4)|
Town Patrol (+4)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Construction speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Aztecs: Siege Workshop units are created 18% faster.
- Burmese: Researching Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Byzantines: Siege Workshops have +30%/+40% HP in the Castle/Imperial Age. Town Watch is free.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Siege Workshops and Siege Workshop technologies are 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Cumans: Siege Workshop and Battering Ram available in the Feudal Age, Capped Ram available in the Castle Age.
- Italians: Bombard Cannons are 20% cheaper.
- Khmer: Siege Workshops do not require a Blacksmith.
- Malians: Siege Workshops are 15% cheaper.
- Persians: Researching Town Watch and Town Patrol is 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Portuguese: All siege engines cost -15% gold.
- Slavs: All Siege Workshop units are 15% cheaper.
- Spanish: Siege Workshops are built 30% faster.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Celts: Siege Workshops work 20% faster.
- A team containing Malians: Researching Masonry, Architecture, and Treadmill Crane is 80% faster.
- A team containing Slavs: Siege Workshops provide +5 population.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Siege Workshops always have 2100 HP.
The Conquerors Edit
- Heresy introduced.
The Forgotten Edit
- Siege Workshop HP staggered: 1,800/2,100 in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Siege Tower introduced.
- Italians: Bombard Cannons are 15% cheaper.
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Italians: With patch 4.8, Bombard Cannons are now 20% cheaper.
"The construction of castles and fortified towns created demand for artillery engines that could knock down walls and open the fortification to assault by troops. Without such artillery weapons, the taking of a castle required a long and costly siege that eventually starved the defenders into surrender. The ability to lay siege was constrained by the length of the campaigning season, the cost of providing supplies to a besieging army, the losses from disease in camp, and weather. Battering rams, trebuchets, and other siege engines were used to break into the fortification quickly and decide the issue. Siege engines were built at a siege workshop."
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|House · Monastery · Wonder|
|Economy||Town Center · Dock · Fish Trap · Mill · Farm · Market · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · Feitoria|
|Research||Blacksmith · University|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Siege Workshop · Castle · Harbor · Krepost|
|Towers||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Walls||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|