Shipwright is a technology in Age of Empires II available at the Dock upon reaching the Imperial Age. Once researched, it decreases the amount of wood required to build any Dock unit by 20%. With patch 1.0b, all ships are also .
The Vikings have a civilization bonus making their warships 20% cheaper in the Imperial Age, partly compensating the fact that they cannot research Shipwright.
The Age of Kings
- Shipwright only reduces the train cost of Dock units.
- With patch 1.0b, all ships receive a creation speed boost upon researching Shipwright.
- Italians: Shipwright is 50% cheaper.
Rise of the Rajas
- Khmer: Can research Shipwright.
- Khmer: Shipwright removed from their technology tree.
Lords of the West
- None of the four civilizations introduced in the Definitive Edition and neither of the two civilizations introduced in Dawn of the Dukes have access to Shipwright.
- During the beta, the Tatars had access to Shipwright.
- Sometimes it is not cost-effective to research Shipwright, when the player plans to create only few ships. If in-game food costs the same as wood, there should be 4,000 wood spent to get 1,000 (food) for free because of the discount. This means that Shipwright will pay for itself after creating 25 Cannon Galleons or 72 Demolition Ships. Also, the technology does not affect gold cost.
|“||Men who built and designed ships were called shipwrights. Their value to sea coast communities increased as the demand for sea trade and war ships increased. Expert shipwrights built sturdier ships at a lower cost.||”|