Shipwright is a technology in Age of Empires II available at the Dock upon reaching the Imperial Age. Once researched, it decreases the amount of wood required to build any Dock unit by 20%. With patch 1.0b, all ships are also .
The Vikings have a civilization bonus making their warships 20% cheaper in the Imperial Age, partly compensating the fact that they cannot research Shipwright.
Civilization bonuses[edit | edit source]
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Age of Kings[edit | edit source]
- Shipwright only reduces the train cost of Dock units.
The Conquerors[edit | edit source]
- With patch 1.0b, all ships receive a +35% creation speed boost upon researching Shipwright.
Rise of the Rajas[edit | edit source]
- Khmer: Can research Shipwright.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Khmer: Shipwright removed from their technology tree.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- None of the four civilizations introduced in the Definitive Edition has access to Shipwright.
- During the beta, the Tatars had access to Shipwright.
- Sometimes it isn't cost-effective to research Shipwright, when the player plans to create only few ships. If in-game food costs the same as wood, there should be 4,000 wood spent to get 1,000 (food) for free because of the discount. This means that Shipwright will pay for itself after creating 25 Cannon Galleons or 72 Demolition Ships. Also, the technology doesn't affect gold cost.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||Men who built and designed ships were called shipwrights. Their value to sea coast communities increased as the demand for sea trade and war ships increased. Expert shipwrights built sturdier ships at a lower cost.||”|