|This article is about the unit in the PC game. For the unit in the handheld video game, see Scorpion Man (Age of Empires: Mythologies).|
Sting: poisons a few human units around itself, giving them a sickly green aura. The poison does 18 hack damage over 15 seconds. Recharge time: 12 seconds.
- Myth Units ×2
- Heroes ×0.2
Scorpion Men are fast and deal a large amount of melee hack damage. Their poison sting attack means continuous damage to affected units, even after it is killed. They deal bonus damage against other myth units but are weak against Heroes, who are of course immune to being poisoned. Players may also choose to train Scorpion Men should they need strong support for their melee soldiers without having to spend more food or gold, as they cost mostly wood, a resource that Egyptians are not as dependent on.
Scientific name -- Scoloscorpio anthropomorphi
Size -- 400 lbs.
Diet -- snakes, large grazing mammals
Scorpions understandably had a large influence on Egyptian mythology. Ra's daughter, Selket, was associated with the scorpion, which graced her crown. In order to make her son, Horus, strong, Isis exposed him to scorpion stings in the desert. Scorpions were also associated with Set, along with other "wicked" animals of the desert.
There was indeed even a King Scorpion, a predynastic ruler known only from a few surviving artifacts such as the "scorpion mace". It is unclear whether the ruler's name or title were "scorpion" but the kingly figure on the mace is labeled as SQRT along with hieroglyphics of a clearly drawn scorpion sign.
- The Scorpion Man seems to be heavily inspired by the Scorpion King, Mathayus, in the 2001 film The Mummy Returns.
- Unlike Mathayus, the Scorpion Man is bald. Dwayne Johnson, who played Mathayus, started shaving his hair bald a decade after Age of Mythology's release.
- They might also be inspired by the Egyptian goddess Serket who is sometimes portrayed as a scorpion with a woman's upper body.
- The Scorpion Man is also very similar to beings of the same name in Mesopotamian mythology, though they lack the bird-like features of the latter.
- The Scorpion Man was originally intended to be given an upgrade, simply known as Venom, and the upgraded Scorpion Man texture is still located within the files.
|Greeks||Pegasus · Hippocampus|
|Centaur · Minotaur · Cyclops|
|Nemean Lion · Hydra · Scylla · Manticore|
|Colossus · Medusa · Carcinos · Chimera|
|Egyptians||Anubite · Serpent / Sea Snake · Sphinx · Wadjet|
|Petsuchos · Roc · Scarab · Leviathan · Scorpion Man · Minion|
|Phoenix · War Turtle · Avenger · Mummy|
|Troll · Valkyrie · Einherjar|
|Kraken · Mountain Giant · Walking Tree · Frost Giant · Battle Boar|
|Jormund Elver · Fimbulwinter Wolf · Fenris Wolf Brood · Fire Giant · Nidhogg|
|Atlanteans||Automaton · Promethean (Offspring) · Caladria · Servant · Carnivora|
|Nereid · Satyr · Stymphalian Bird · Dryad · Behemoth|
|Heka Gigantes · Man O' War · Argus · Lampades · Tartarian Spawn|
|Chinese||Qilin · Monkey King · Terracotta Warrior|
|War Salamander · Jiangshi · Pixiu|
|Azure Dragon · Dragon Turtle · Vermilion Bird · White Tiger · Earth Dragon|