|“||Trains sinister outlaws and mercenaries.||”|
The Saloon is a military building in Age of Empires III: The WarChiefs that is available once the Commerce Age is reached. It trains various outlaw and mercenary units, and also generates 0.6 coin per second.
Before the Definitive Edition, the Saloon was only available to European civilizations. In the Definitive Edition, the Saloon becomes exclusive to the United States and Mexicans, with European civilizations having the Tavern instead.
In the Commerce Age, only outlaws are available for "hire". With every Age up until the Industrial Age, mercenaries become available. The former are preset while the latter are randomly generated in each map. Mercenaries available at the Saloon in a game are shared across all players.
- The "French Canadians" Federal Card, given by choosing New Hampshire Federal State to advance into Fortress Age, grants access to Napoleon Guns in the Saloon.
- The "Poker" card grants access to 3 randomly selected mercenaries in the Saloon.
- Main article: Mercenaries (Age of Empires III)
|Refreshing Beverages||600 coin||Outlaw and Hero charged ability cooldown -30%|
|Wild West||200 food,
|Outlaw hit points and attack +20%, train time -50%|
|Outlaws get +30% hit points and attack; Requires Wild West|
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Hit points||Flying Buttress (+20%)|
|Sight||Gas Lighting (+4)|
|Construction cost|| Cree Textile Craftsmanship (-25% wood)|
Tupi Forest Burning (-20% wood)
Home City Cards
As Saloons are unique to the United States, only their cards and other civilizations' TEAM cards are shown in the following tables:
- Click for a list of Home City Cards related to the Saloon
- Green: TEAM Shipment that is sent to each player in a team
- Violet: Shipment that can be sent an INFINITE number of times
|TEAM Improved Buildings||Buildings get +25% hit points||10|
|Arkansas Post||Ships 3 Trading Post Wagons and also allows them to build Market, Saloon and Meeting House|
|Advanced Saloon||Saloons support 25 population and can be built in Exploration Age, Saloons also gain +2 build limit|
|Poker||Enables up to 3 random mercenaries in the Saloon and ships 13 random mercenary units; costs 3,500 coin|
|Dance Hall||Upgrades the Saloon to the Dance Hall which can train Ronin and outlaws use -2 population|
- Click for a list of United States Saloon names
- Click for a list of Mexican Saloon names
- Cantina El Nivel
- Cantina El Tío Pepe
- Cantina La Opera
- Cantina La Peninsular
- Cantina La Imperial
- Cantina Que Pasa
- Cantina El Gato de Monte
The African Royals
- The two crossed revolvers in the original Saloon icon look like the Remington Model 1858 (which is apparently the same weapon used by Major Cooper). However, in the Saloon icon of the Definitive Edition, the revolvers look like the Colt Single Action Army 1873.
- In the Saloon icon and in-game model, is possible to see two glasses of beer on the wall. For unknown reasons, this was removed in the Definitive Edition.
|“||Taverns, Inns, and Public Houses (a.k.a. Pubs) have a long and colorful history across Europe and North America. While the term Saloon commonly refers to establishments associated with the American Old West, businesses where local townsfolk gather to consume alcohol and discuss the issues of the day have existed for centuries.|
The common denominator, of course, is the ready availability of alcohol, noted for its ability to loosen the tongue and inflame passions. The future course of nations was most often argued and planned within such walls. From Paul Revere to Wild Bill Hickock, the day's movers and shakers typically gathered in a local watering hole.