Civilization bonuses Edit
The Forgotten Edit
- Indians: Cannot research Ring Archer Armor.
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Berbers: Initially cannot research Ring Archer Armor. With patch 4.8, it was added to their technology tree.
- Indians: Ring Archer Armor added to the technology tree.
- The ring armor depicted in the technology icon (metal rings sown into a suit made out of cloth or leather) is not certain to have even existed within the game's time frame. There are no known surviving examples and historical depictions of the suit (such as the one in Bayeux tapestry) are likely to be portrayals of similar-looking mail armor.
- Archers were almost always of a lower social standing than knights and therefore could not afford such protection.
As the Middle Ages progressed, light troops were more aggressively employed in battle. They supported pikemen phalanxes and were put into combined formations with these units. Crossbowmen needed to get close to the enemy to shoot. During assaults on fortifications and castles, they were exposed to enemy fire. In conjunction with their more aggressive roles, the armor that light troops wore was upgraded to ring, or chain mail. This was the lightest and most flexible of the metal armors and minimized interference with fighting, while providing better protection than padded leather.
|Missile / siege technologies|
|Fletching | Bodkin Arrow | Bracer | Padded Archer Armor | Leather Archer Armor | Ring Archer Armor | Ballistics | Murder Holes | Heated Shot | Arrowslits | Chemistry | Siege Engineers | Thumb Ring | Parthian Tactics|