In the game, Richard is depicted as a cavalry hero unit with the appearance of a Paladin. Like other cavalry heroes, Richard the Lionheart is affected by all upgrades and bonuses that affect cavalry. As a hero, he cannot be converted and can regenerate health (since The Conquerors). He is also available at the Scenario Editor.
Campaign appearances Edit
- Richard appears as an allied unit in the sixth Barbarossa Campaign scenario, The Emperor Sleeping. He leads a small force of Elite Longbowmen, Cavaliers, and two Trebuchets. Its AI player name is "Richard the Lionhearted" despite the unit being called Richard the Lionheart.
- Richard is an enemy in the sixth Saladin scenario The Lion and the Demon, where he is represented by the AI player "Richard" but not as his own unit. He has a base east and command over two hero Trebuchets, God's Own Sling and Bad Neighbor.
- In The Forgotten, Richard is finally playable as a must-survive hero in the scenario Cyprus of the Battles of the Forgotten campaign, which depicts his actions in Sicily and Cyprus prior to his arrival on the Holy Land.
- Despite his later incarnation as an English nationalist icon, Richard the Lionheart spent most of his life in France and spoke French and Occitan. It is debated if he had any knowledge of English, even though he was born in Oxford.
- Although portrayed as grey-haired in the game, he was only 35-36 years old during his in-game appearances and 41 when he died. His natural hair was red or reddish blonde.