The Phalanx is only available to the following civilizations:
- Metalworking: Increases attack by 2.
- Scale Armor Infantry: Increases armor by 2.
- Bronze Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1.
- Metallurgy: Increases attack by 3.
- Chain Mail Infantry: Increases armor by 2.
- Iron Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1.
- Tower Shield: Increases pierce armor by 1.
- Aristocracy: Increases speed by 25%.
- Phalanxes can be upgraded to Centurions
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Greeks: Phalanxes move 30% faster and are 20% cheaper
- Carthaginians: Phalanxes have 25% more HP.
- Macedonians: Phalanxes have +2 pierce armor, +2 Line of Sight, and are four times more resistant to conversion.
"The phalanx was a Greek heavy infantry formation used from about 800 BC to the conquest of Greece by the Romans in the Second Century BC. The Greek infantry, called hoplites, formed a square that could quickly face in any of four directions. Each man carried a pike or spear up to 12 feet in length. As the formation advanced, it presented an imposing wall of spear points to its front. Hoplites carried a large round shield and wore a bronze helmet, breastplate (cuirass), and greaves. All free men in the Greek city-states trained in the phalanx. The discipline and drill required to make the phalanx work permeated the entire Greek culture. Greek infantry fighting in the phalanx was the finest in the western world for several centuries. No other infantry faced it in hand-to-hand combat and won until the new tactics of combined arms made it obsolete. The last great success of the phalanx was in Alexander's campaign against the Persians, although in that army it fought as part of a combined arms army."
|Units in Age of Empires|
|Age of Empires|
|Priest · Villager · Trade Boat · Merchant Ship · Fishing Boat · Fishing Ship · Light Transport · Heavy Transport|
|Infantry||Clubman · Axeman · Short Swordsman · Broad Swordsman · Long Swordsmen · Legion · Bowman · Improved Bowman · Composite Bowman · Hoplite · Phalanx · Centurion|
|Cavalry||Scout · Cavalry · Heavy Cavalry · Cataphract · Chariot · Chariot Archer · Elephant Archer · Horse Archer · Heavy Horse Archer · War Elephant|
|Siege||Stone Thrower · Catapult · Heavy Catapult · Ballista · Helepolis|
|Navy||Scout Ship · War Galley · Trireme · Catapult Trireme · Juggernaught|
|The Rise of Rome|
|Armored Elephant · Camel Rider · Fire Galley · Scythe Chariot · Slinger|