Patch 4.0 is a patch for Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten. It was released on June 17, 2015.
Unified lobby[edit | edit source]
The multiplayer lobbies for The Conquerors and The Forgotten were combined, so that people who own an expansion can host an expansion-enabled multiplayer game, and people with or without the expansion can join and play in that game together. People without the expansion in this situation will be able to choose from a limited civilization pool that changes each day. It also includes one of the expansion civilizations that they can try out, too.
- Players can filter game lists based on hosted data set (The Conquerors, The Forgotten, or both)
- Create Multiplayer Game now has a popup to select the data set to use.
- Players can only make multiplayer games using the data set they own. If they don't own The Forgotten, they cannot host a Forgotten-enabled game. However, they can join one.
- Create Scenario now has a popup to select data set to use.
- All the campaigns are available from the single player menu now.
- The ability to switch modes in the main menu has now been removed.
- History entries for all expansion civilizations are available to all players.
- When loading scenarios, saves, or replays, Icons have been added to show which items are part of the The Conquerors or The Forgotten data sets.
New Steam Workshop[edit | edit source]
The Workshop implementation was rewritten from scratch making use of the new features. Old Workshop content was migrated to the new "user generated content" system.
General Improvements[edit | edit source]
- Players can now choose any language in the options menu. If they want to download voice over assets in another language, they choose the language inside the Steam's properties > Language tab for this game. Note: Dutch, Portuguese, and Russian do not have native voice over dialog.
- All string files have been replaced with UTF-8 encoding, which makes it easier to deal with foreign languages in mods.
- DRS files are no more. Everything is now loose files. This will make it easier for mods to stack.
- Group by team now works for Real World Maps.
- English text and voice over is a fallback for any missing foreign assets.
- Campaign intro screens now use foreign assets when available.
- Support for up to 100 terrain types now.
Scenario Editor[edit | edit source]
- Some general UI improvements particularly with triggers and conditions.
- Players can make inverse conditions.
- Players can add area effects now for Patrol/Attack Move.
- New trigger for "teleport object".
- New "change unit stance" effect.
New AI scripts[edit | edit source]