The availability of Parthian Tactics is an indicator of prominent Cavalry Archers. But of the ten civilizations that have access to the technology, only the following five can fully upgrade them (hence have access to Thumb Ring, Bloodlines, Ring Archer Armor, and Bracer).
Affected units Edit
All units listed below benefit from Parthian Tactics. The Camel Archer (denoted with a *) does profit from the armor and attack increase Parthian Tactics grants, but the Berbers do not get Parthian Tactics. Hence, this is only relevant in games with Full Tech Tree checked.
|Archer unit||Armor increase||Spearman attack increase|
|Heavy Cavalry Archer||+1/+2||+4|
|Elite Elephant Archer||+1/+2||+2|
|Elite Camel Archer*||+1/+2||+2|
- Note: While they are often seen as mounted archers, Genitours (which as a matter of fact are cavalry archers) and Arambai are not affected by Parthian Tactics.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Britons: Researching Parthian Tactics is 20% faster.
The Conquerors Edit
- Initially, Parthian Tactics does not give an attack bonus. With patch 1.0, the attack bonus was added to the technology.
- Only ten different civilizations can research Parthian Tactics, making it the most exclusive of all technologies.
- The Parthians, the eponymous people for this technology, appear as an enemy faction in the campaign scenario Ransom at Ctesiphon in Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome.
“The horse archers of Parthia, now part of modern Iran, were renowned for their ability to shoot arrows at pursuers, whether the archers were in real or feigned retreat. Being able to shoot at enemies while withdrawing was very irritating to the enemy, especially when pursuers were too slow to close the gap. Although the Parthians were an ancient people, their tactics were adopted by later civilizations that employed horse archers and their name remained attached to the maneuver. The phrase “parthian shot” has come to mean any comment made while exiting a discussion.”—The Conquerors manual