Parthian Tactics is a technology in Age of Empires II: The Conquerors available at the Archery Range upon reaching the Imperial Age. Once researched, it improves mounted archers, increasing their armor by +1/+2 and (except in the unpatched release) giving them an attack bonus of +2 or +4 against Pikemen.
The availability of Parthian Tactics is an indicator of prominent Cavalry Archers. However, of the thirteen civilizations that have access to the technology, only the following six can fully upgrade them (hence have access to Thumb Ring, Bloodlines, Ring Archer Armor, Husbandry, Chemistry, and Bracer):
It should be noted that Huns and Mongols only lack the Ring Archer Armor upgrade and Cumans lack Bracer and Husbandry (offset by their civilization bonus), but they are still remarkably strong Cavalry Archer civilizations, nevertheless.
Affected units[edit | edit source]
All units listed below benefit from Parthian Tactics. The Camel Archer (denoted with a *) does profit from the armor and attack increase Parthian Tactics grants, but the Berbers do not get Parthian Tactics. Hence, this is only relevant in games with Full Tech Tree checked.
|Archer unit||Armor increase||Spearman attack increase|
|Heavy Cavalry Archer||+1/+2||+4|
|Elite Elephant Archer||+1/+2||+2|
|Elite Camel Archer*||+1/+2||+2|
Parthian Tactics affects specific units and not a unit branch like most other technologies. Since the Conquistador and Arambai are classified as "Conquistador" and not "cavalry archer", they are unaffected by Parthian Tactics. Also, neither Genitours nor any heroes are affected by it.
Civilization bonuses[edit | edit source]
- Tatars: Parthian Tactics is free.
Team bonuses[edit | edit source]
- A team containing Britons: Researching Parthian Tactics is 20% faster.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Conquerors[edit | edit source]
- On release, Parthian Tactics does not give an attack bonus. With patch 1.0, the attack bonus was added to the technology.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Only thirteen different civilizations can research Parthian Tactics, making it the most exclusive of all technologies.
- The Parthians, the eponymous people for this technology, appear as an enemy faction in the campaign scenario Ransom at Ctesiphon in Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome.
- During the beta, Lithuanians had access to Parthian Tactics.
- None of the four civilizations in African Kingdoms can research Parthian Tactics.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||The horse archers of Parthia, now part of modern Iran, were renowned for their ability to shoot arrows at pursuers, whether the archers were in real or feigned retreat. Being able to shoot at enemies while withdrawing was very irritating to the enemy, especially when pursuers were too slow to close the gap. Although the Parthians were an ancient people, their tactics were adopted by later civilizations that employed horse archers and their name remained attached to the maneuver. The phrase “parthian shot” has come to mean any comment made while exiting a discussion.||”|
|—The Conquerors manual|