Ornlu the Wolf is a hero animal that appears in several campaigns in Age of Empires II and is referenced in subsequent Ensemble Studios games. As a hero, he cannot be converted and can regenerate health (since The Conquerors).
Ornlu is the only hero unit that can be active while controlled by Gaia and will not switch to player control when found. His in-game appearance is the same as a regular Wolf. Like other wolves, he switches his normal walking speed (and animation) to faster running speed when attacking other units.
- Ornlu first appears in Crucible, the first scenario of the Genghis Khan campaign, leading a pack of dire and regular wolves. The player must kill him to win the allegiance of the Uighurs. Though identifying Ornlu among the wolves was part of the challenge originally, he is obvious in the Definitive Edition due to the glowing golden aura of all hero units.
- In The Triple Alliance, the second scenario of the Montezuma campaign, Ornlu (renamed "Son of Ornlu") is one of the animals guarding the hidden Tlaxcala Monastery.
- In La Noche Triste, the fourth scenario, Ornlu is one of many animals on the island northeast of Tenochtitlan.
- In the Vinlandsaga scenario of the Battles of the Conquerors, Ornlu attacks the player's Outpost in Norway after a Blacksmith is constructed. The Vikings call Ornlu "the King of the Wolves".
- In Echoes of Heroes, the fourth scenario of the Ivaylo campaign, Ornlu appears in the southwestern corner of the map, between the walls of Devaya and the map's edge.
- In Where the One-Eyed Man is King, the fifth scenario of the Ivaylo campaign, Ornlu appears in the western corner of the map, in an unreachable spot in the forest west of Nogai Khan's camp.
References in other games
- In Age of Mythology there is a relic called "Eye of Ornlu" along with a unique Fenris Wolf bearing his name which can only be found in the Editor.
- In Age of Empires III, the player can collect a treasure called "Eye of Ornlu". The "eye" is actually a jewel according to the treasure's description.