Obsidian Arrows is a technology in Age of Empires II: The Forgotten that is unique to the Mayans and can be researched at the Castle. Once researched, it gives Archers and their upgrades an attack bonus against standard buildings of .
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Archer armies are usually completely dependent on siege units to deal any damage to buildings, since their overall damage is lower than melee units and buildings naturally have armor. The Mayans are particularly dependent on archers, having a limited tech tree for other unit types and no access to cavalry.
With the addition of Obsidian Arrows, a large group of Mayan Archers actually becomes a severe threat to buildings, since all units in the group can be damaging the same building at the same time without having to surround it, letting them pile on the damage quicker and from a safe distance. For example, Castle Age Crossbowmen with Bodkin Arrow can outrange most civilizations' Town Center, and a group of 20 or so can take one down in a reasonable amount of time. This makes them an extraordinary raiding party if paired with units to handle their counters, such as Pikemen for cavalry or Eagle Warriors for Skirmishers.
Blacksmith upgrades should still be prioritized since they add the same damage against everything plus range while being overall cheaper, and Plumed Archers do not benefit from Obsidian Arrows. When playing in team games and if the Mayan player has a Saracen ally, it also adds the team bonus of +2 attack bonus against buildings for Archers for a total of +8.
Team bonuses[edit | edit source]
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The Forgotten[edit | edit source]
- Obsidian Arrows gives Archers +4 attack against buildings.
The African Kingdoms[edit | edit source]
- Obsidian Arrows now gives Archers +6 attack against buildings. With patch 4.8, Archers also gain +6 attack against stone defense.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- Obsidian Arrows no longer grants double the attack bonus versus Stone Walls, Stone Gates, Towers, and Harbors.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Before patch 4.8, the additional +6 (+4 in The Forgotten) attack against stone defense did not trigger due to a bug. However, that was fixed with patch 4.8.
- In real life, obsidian arrows are extraordinarily sharp, but also very brittle and often aren't re-usable. Despite their sharpness, they are not well suited to destroying masonry or walls, and are in fact easily defeated by as little as a wooden board.