"Elite Nootka warrior."—In-game description
The Nootka War Chief is a powerful unit that can quickly be retrained, as it has a low train time. It is excellent at destroying buildings, especially Outposts, Castles, Blockhouses, War Huts, Noble's Huts, and even Town Centers due to its high ranged resistance and hit points. Flesh and blood opponents will likely target other nearby units, however it can be used to soak up the damage of those structures when facing AI enemies that do not employ smart targeting.
With all available improvements, the Nootka War Chief can quickly destroy large groups of enemies if left unchecked, and if it perishes it can be re-trained at the Explorer/War Chief/Monk's location very quickly when used with infantry train time reduction cards and improvements.
- The Nootka War Chief is especially deadly when used by a Spanish player with Unction effect along with their hand infantry cards. The total damage of the unit will then jump to 83 or higher damage in melee and deal strong damage against buildings.
- The Nootka War Chief can also become quite powerful when recruited by a Japanese player due to Shogunate bonuses, the Onin War card, Daimyo bonuses, etc.
- The Nootka War Chief also become a powerful building destroyer when recruited by a Sioux with a full Fire Pit and doing a Fire Dance; their siege damage will increased by 199%.
|Nootka Warrior Societies||200 wood,|
|Upgrades Nootka Clubmen and War Chief to Elite (+25% hit points and attack)|
|Champion Nootka||400 wood,|
|Upgrades Nootka Clubmen and War Chief to Champion (+40% hit points and attack); requires Nootka Warrior Societies|
| Legendary Native Warriors|
|Upgrades native warriors to Legendary/Exalted (+50% hit points and attack)|
- The Legendary Native Warriors improvement is available in the Capitol for European civilizations and in the Town Center for Native American and Asian (as Exalted Natives) civilizations.
Further statistics Edit
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Cavalry, light infantry, buildings|
|Hit points|| Infantry Breastplate (+10%)|
Thin Red Line (+20%, British only)
Corselet (+25%, Spanish only)
Cree Tanning (+5%)
|Speed|| Military Drummers (+10%)|
Tilly's Discipline (+20%, Germans only)
|Sight||Town Watch (+2)|
|Creation speed||Standing Army (-25%)|
|Penalties|| Thin Red Line (-25% speed, British only)|
Coffee Trade (-10% speed, Dutch only)
Tilly's Discipline (+10% cost, Germans only)
Corselet (-15% speed, Spanish only)
Home City Cards Edit
|Click for a list of Home City Cards related to the Nootka War Chief|
Green: TEAM Shipment that is sent to each player in a team
- The Nootka War Chief is one of several anti-cavalry units in the Age of Empires series to use a club, the others being the Mapuche Ironwood Clubman, the Nootka Clubman, and the Yamabushi from Age of Empires III, as well as the Katapeltes from Age of Mythology.
"The Nootka lived in northwestern North America. Their common name is probable misinterpretation on the part of Captain Cook, who promoted the word meaning "come around" as the name for the Nootka people. The Nootka wore clothing of cedar bark that shed the rains of their Pacific Northwest home and also furs for the winter cold. They hunted whales and other sea creatures with two-headed harpoons that were designed to drive home even if one head was deflected or broken. In war they wielded heavy clubs and maces, some decorated with the striking surface protruding like a thick stone tongue from the mouth of a frightfully stylized man."