This campaign features Cuauhtémoc, Montezuma's nephew, as the narrator of the campaign's story and represents his Ascent as Guerrero Jaguar under the rule of his uncle and his resistance against the Spanish invader Hernan Cortéz who allied with the native Tlaxcala. Cuauhtemoc was named emperor after his uncle was assassinated, he tried to stop the invasion and expel the Spaniards and native allies.
The Montezuma campaign consists of 6 scenarios .The player plays as the Aztecs, and the player color is green.
- Despite the name Montezuma, the main protagonist of the campaign is actually Montezuma's nephew, Cuauhtemoc.
- The campaign has deviated a lot from history.
- In reality, Cuauhtémoc was a cousin, and not a nephew, of Montezuma II. However Cuauhtémoc married Montezuma's daughter.
- The betrayal of Texcoco and Tlacopan among the Triple Alliance did not take place.
- The spelling "Cortéz" is a mistake. It should be spelled as "Cortés".
- While it is said that Montezuma was killed during the La Noche Triste, in reality his death occurred before the event.
- Cuauhtémoc was not the immediate successor of Montezuma II. Montezuma II was succeeded by his brother Cuitláhuac, who ruled for only 80 days before dying of smallpox. Cuauhtémoc then succeeded him.
- The Aztecs actually lost in the subsequent battles after the La Noche Triste.
- Despite this, the campaign did have some accuracies, such as other tribes (portrayed as Texcoco) fight against the Aztecs. This was because of their unpopular tribute rule (Aztec's demand 25% off all goods in exchange for peace).