|This article is about the unit in Age of Empires III. For the unit in Age of Empires II: The Conquerors, see Missionary (Age of Empires II).|
|“||Heals injured units.||”|
Unlike the Priest, it has a train limit of 10.
Missionaries can be garrisoned in the same buildings as settlers, and count as a settler when adding to a Town Center's attack.
The "Unction" Home City Card (added with The WarChiefs), gives Missionaries an aura that increases the attack of Spanish infantry and cavalry in a radius of around them by , and stacks with each other. Note that the extra attack is added to the unit's current attack, not its base attack, making it exceptionally powerful. The aura only affects units directly under the Spanish player's control; allied units (whether human or AI) and the Missionaries themselves are not affected.
Since the Unction aura does not increase hit points, the enemy may sometimes use hit-and-run tactics or units with large splash damage. Therefore, Missionaries' greatest defense are their Unction aura, their speed with Mission Fervor, and their armies' line of sight using the "TEAM Inquisition" card and the Town Watch improvement.
- See also: Spanish unction artillery (2012)
As Missionaries are unique to the Spanish, only technologies that they have access to are shown in the following table:
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Hit points||Mission Fervor (+35%)|
|Sight||Town Watch (+2)|
|Speed||Mission Fervor (+15%)|
Home City Cards
As Missionaries are unique to the Spanish, only their cards and other civilizations' TEAM cards are shown on the following tables:
|Click for a list of Home City Cards related to the Missionary|
Green: TEAM Shipment that is sent to each player in a team
Age of Empires III
- Missionaries cost 100 wood, 100 coin, take 1 population, have 300 hit points, give 20 XP when trained or killed, and train in 40 seconds.
- Missionaries' Unction aura increases attack by 5% in a radius of 24 and affects artillery and ships.
- Missionaries cost 50 wood, 50 coin, have 200 hit points, give 10 XP when trained or killed, and train in 30 seconds.
- Missionaries' Unction aura now increases attack by 4.5%.
The African Royals
- With update 13.4412, Missionaries take 0 population, Missionaries' Unction aura increases attack by 2.5% in a radius of 34 and no longer affects artillery and ships.
- Originally the Portuguese also had access to the Missionary. The Portuguese Priest model is similar to a Missionary dismounted from his donkey.
|“||Spanish priests and monks established missions all over the New World. The selection of a site wasn't based simply on divine inspiration; it was a complicated process involving weeks, months, and even years of navigating bureaucracies and scouting out sites with sufficient water and good defensive qualities. It was very important that missions, forts, and towns had access to good water, because once established, they were largely on their own to look after their needs.|
Missionaries, like the Italian Jesuit Eusebio Kino, oversaw the establishment of several missions. Father Kino, who explored and traveled with the Spanish, established dozens of missions including the missions at Nuestra Senora de los Dolores, San Xavier del Bac, Guevavi, and Tumacacori. He was known for a policy of kindness towards Native Americans, and often established peaceful relationships with groups of Native Americans near his missions.