|This article is about the building in Age of Empires. For the similar building in Age of Mythology, see Mirror Tower (Age of Mythology).|
The Mirror Tower is a superunit in Age of Empires that is only available to the Scenario Editor and the campaign aspect of the game. This defensive structure fires a beam of red light every 3 seconds and is 100% accurate without the need to research Ballistics. If Architecture is researched, the hit points of the building increases from 400 to 480. Like all towers, Mirror Towers are more resistant against stone throwing siege weapons unlike other buildings, having 18 additional siege armor against them after accounting for building armor. Against Armored Elephants, Mirror Towers have 16 extra armor.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Although the Mirror Tower can out range any unit in the game, it has the slowest firing rate in the game. Additionally, civilization bonuses do not apply to this structure. Just like any defensive structure, it can be easily outgunned by a large army of the best available siege equipment. This defensive structure is featured in the Syracuse Campaign.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The attack trajectory of Mirror Towers can be obstructed and may become diffracted when the surrounding terrain feature elevation changes. The greater the elevation change, the greater the diffraction and chance of the projectile to be deflected. Mirror Towers may not be able to deal damage at all under these circumstances and may become unreliable even on top of hilly terrain.
- If placed on top of a cliff or on a higher elevation, the attack increases from 100 to 150.
- Hit points do not double if played as the Babylonians.
- Tower range does not increase by 2 points if played as the Choson.
- Range cannot be upgraded by Woodworking technologies in the Market.
- The -50% Tower cost does not apply for the Romans since it cannot be built.
- The repair cost of a building is usually half of the build cost. That is, it would cost 150 stone if the player were able to build a Mirror Tower because it's repair cost is 75 stone
History[edit | edit source]
The Mirror Tower is a historical legendary structure that is thought to be invented and constructed by Archimedes. The purpose of the building is to focus sunlight onto an enemy warship by using a mirror. Once enough energy is focused in the mirror, a ray of light would strike the desired target and light the object on fire. The true existence of this structure is historically disputed since there is little evidence that it actually exists. The Mirror Tower in the game is an overpowered and exaggerated version of the actual tower.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
|Heroes in Age of Empires|
|Age of Empires|
|Villagers||Corlis · Hersifon|
|Infantry||Jason · Xerxes|
|Cavalry||Alexander · Hector · Tiberius · Vercingetorix|
|Priests||Amon Ra · Mor Havoc|
|The Rise of Rome|
|Cavalry||Caesar · Hannibal · Scipio|
|Other||Cleopatra's Barge · Mirror Tower · Zenobia's Tower|
|Infantry||Chieftain · Lord Martek · Ajax · Pericles · Xanthippus · Achilles|
|Archers||Prince Shotoku · Odysseus · Ramesses · Xu Fu|
|Cavalry||General · Hero · Muwatalli · Paris|
|Priests||Pharaoh · High Priest|