|This article needs an image for it to be complete. Please locate and insert one.|
Metropolis is a custom map in Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings.
Description[edit | edit source]
Metropolis largely resembles a Baltic map, but has a play style like Budapest, only amped up even more. While Budapest has each player beginning with two Town Centers, Metropolis has each player start with three Town Centers, and their own corresponding starting Villagers scout, and resources. Players' Town Centers surround a big inland ocean full of Shore Fish and deep fish, and there are a fair amount of trees, Berry Bushes, stone and gold spread throughout the map. Herdables, Relics, and huntables are standard.
Viable tactics[edit | edit source]
Whereas maps such as Budapest are more micro-intensive, Metropolis takes such a playstyle and magnifies it dramatically. With three separate towns to manage, booming and turtling are both extremely effective, and rushing is nearly useless. Games may also tend to go on for much longer, as aggressors may have to chew through three towns in order to conquer another player, which by then may be less fruitful, as fewer total resources could be left behind. The early game is frantic in trying to build up all of the towns, or trying to invest in one of the three towns at a time, but the rest of the game still needs more involvement of widespread imperial management throughout.
Civilizations with advantages include:
- Civilizations with advantages concerning their Town Centers' statistics and production rates: Persians, Chinese, Teutons, Malay
- Civilizations with advantages for their Villagers: Indians, Koreans, Berbers, Vikings, etc.
- Civilizations with start-up bonuses regarding units and buildings: Chinese, Incas, Mayans,
- Civilizations with bonuses regarding, Docks, Fishing Ships or fishermen: Indians, Japanese, Vikings, Persians, Malay, Italians
- Special mentions: Vietnamese (their initial opponent Town center spotting bonus applies to all Town Centers)
Civilizations that may struggle:
- Cumans; their extra Town Center bonus in the Feudal Age is basically denied on this map.