|This article is about the infantry unit in Age of Mythology. For other uses of the term, see Mercenary.|
- Classical Age, Heroic Age, Mythic Age increases hit points by 10% and attack by 20%.
- Copper Weapons, Bronze Weapons, and Iron Weapons increase attack by 10%.
- Copper Mail, Bronze Mail, and Iron Mail decrease hack vulnerability by 10%.
- Copper Shields, Bronze Shields, and Iron Shields decrease pierce vulnerability by 10%.
Mercenaries are trained almost instantly and do not take up any population slots. Hence they are useful when a player needs to respond to a sudden attack near one of their Town Centers. Mercenaries are especially good against Cavalry, but are fair against all human units. Caution is needed when using Mercenaries, as they cost a lot of Gold and die after 40 seconds.
The Medjay improvement gives Mercenaries a longer lifespan allowing them to be used offensively. Enemy units will be quickly knocked off by these units, and after they die, players can finish off the survivors with their regular forces.
Age of Mythology Edit
- Originally, Mercenaries had no build limit. With patch 1.03, they have a build limit of 12.
As an Egyptian, you may employ Mercenaries at any of your Town Centers. Mercenaries train very quickly, cost only gold and are good at countering Cavalry. They are primarily used for town defense because their services can only be bought for a short time, rarely long enough to make the trek into an enemy town.
- Judging by the coloration of their skin and affiliation with the Egyptians, the Mercenary units are likely of Nubian origin.