|“||Maya barbed spearmen. Good against cavalry or buildings.||”|
The Maya Holcan Spearman is a heavy infantry native warrior in Age of Empires III that could be trained at a Trading Post built on a Maya settlement. It was replaced with update 54545 by the Maya Holcan Javelineer, a Musketeer-type unit.
The Maya Holcan Spearman is similar to a Pikeman, but has more hit points and a greater siege attack; However, it is one of the slowest anti-building attacks of any infantry unit. Under some conditions, units with lower siege damage but the normal 3.0 attack speed will inflict more damage over time than the Holcan Spearman; Their siege rate of fire is standardized to 3 in the Definitive Edition.
|Maya Warrior Societies||200 wood,
|Upgrades Maya Holcan Spearmen to Elite (+25% hit points and attack)|
|Champion Maya||400 wood,
|Upgrades Maya Holcan Spearmen to Champion (+40% hit points and attack); requires Maya Warrior Societies|
| Legendary Native Warriors
|Upgrades native warriors to Legendary/Exalted (+50% hit points and attack)|
- The Legendary Native Warriors improvement is available in the Capitol for European civilizations and in the Town Center for Native American and Asian (as Exalted Natives) civilizations.
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Cavalry, Shock Infantry, buildings|
|Weak vs.||Skirmishers, archers, artillery|
|Hit points|| Infantry Breastplate (+10%)|
Thin Red Line (+20%, British only)
Corselet (+25%, Spanish and Knights of St. John only)
Cree Tanning (+5%)
Maya Cotton Armor (+20%)
Navajo Weaving (+5%)
|Attack|| Carib Kasiri Beer (+10%)|
Mapuche Tactics (+50% siege attack)
Zapotec Cult of the Dead (+20%)
Master Lessons (+10%)
|Speed|| Military Drummers (+10%)|
Tilly's Discipline (+20%, Germans only)
Cherokee War Dance (+20%)
Quechuan Mountaineering (+20%)
Apache Endurance (+5%)
|Sight||Town Watch (+2)|
|Creation speed||Standing Army (-25%)|
|Penalties|| Thin Red Line (-25% speed, British only)|
Coffee Trade (-10% speed, Dutch only)
Tilly's Discipline (+10% cost, Germans only)
High Crusade (-5% hit points, Knights of St. John only)
Corselet (-15% speed, Spanish and Knights of St. John only)
Home City Cards
|Click for a list of Home City Cards related to the Maya Holcan Spearman|
Age of Empires III
- Maya Holcan Spearmen have 8 hand attack, 45 siege attack, 180 hit points, a siege rate of fire of 4.0, a build limit of 15, train in 20 seconds, and are siege troopers.
- Maya Holcan Spearmen have 10 hand attack, 24 siege attack, 185 hit points, a siege rate of fire of 3.0, a build limit of 17, train in 30 seconds, and are no longer siege troopers.
- With update 54545, the Maya Holcan Spearman was replaced by the Maya Holcan Javelineer.
- Main article: Maya (minor native)#In-game dialogue
|“||The word "Holcan" means "warrior." Maya warriors formed a separate class in their society. In battle they would often capture rather than kill enemy soldiers to provide slaves or human sacrifices. The Holcan used many different weapons including spears, slingshots, clubs, knives, and even bombs made of hornet's nests. In times of need Maya used a form of conscription to force farmers or others to become soldiers.||”|