"Magyar unique unit. Light cavalry unit with a bonus vs. siege"—Age of Empires II description
Magyar Huszars can be upgraded to Elite Magyar Huszars in the Imperial Age.
Magyar Huszars are comparatively cheap. Despite this, they have a considerable amount of attack, are fast, and have an attack bonus against siege weapons, making them an ideal counter to siege units. Also, they attack quickly, striking once every 1.83 seconds. In the cavalry branch, that value is only matched by Knights and Cataphracts. They also train fast, making the regular Hussar as good as redundant for the Magyars.
Magyar Huszars are an excellent complement for Magyar Cavalry Archers. They can easily deal with enemy siege weapons, a major weakness of Cavalry Archers, and can take down Skirmishers with ease, making way for the Cavalry Archers to deal with everything else. Camels, however, can be a threat. Pikemen naturally deal huge bonus damage against both the Cavalry Archer and the Magyar Huszar, but can usually do no more than scare them off due to their low speed and zero range.
In combat against melee units, however, the Magyar Huszar's lackluster attack and armor makes it almost impossible to defeat anything in one-to-one combat. But considering their low cost, they still remain relatively cost effective against most of them nevertheless.
Comparison to the Hussar Edit
- Both share the same armor and speed stats, but the Magyar Huszar has 10 HP more. The Hussar has a much greater Line of Sight.
- Magyar Huszars hold a greater attack, and an attack bonus against siege weapons. Also, they attack a little faster (1.83 vs 1.93).
- Hussars have an attack bonus against Monks and resist conversion.
- Magyar Huszars cost 80 food, Hussars 68 (only for the Magyars since patch 5.5 (72 before that patch); all other civilizations pay 80 food). Hussars are easier to mass since they are trained at the Stable.
- All in all, Magyar Huszars are far more useful than regular Hussars for the Magyars, since they much better cover the weaknesses of their partner in the common Magyar army, the Cavalry Archer. Regular Hussars should not be trained or even upgraded unless the enemy makes use of Monks.
Further statistics Edit
As Magyar Huszars are unique to the Magyars, only technologies that are available to them are shown in the following table:
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Siege weapons, archers|
|Weak vs.||Boyars, Pikemen, Kamayuks, Berserks, Genoese Crossbowmen, Teutonic Knights, Mamelukes, Camels, Eagle Warriors, Samurai|
|Hit points||Bloodlines (+20)|
|Attack|| Forging (+1)|
Iron Casting (+1)
Blast Furnace (+2)
|Armor|| Scale Barding Armor (+1/+1)|
Chain Barding Armor (+1/+1)
Plate Barding Armor (+1/+2)
|Creation speed||Conscription (+33%)|
|Train cost||Mercenaries (eliminates the gold cost)|
|Upgrades||Magyar Huszars can be upgraded to Elite Magyar Huszars|
Civilization bonuses Edit
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Berbers: With Kasbah researched, Magyar Huszars are created and upgraded 25% faster, and Conscription and Mercenaries are researched 25% faster.
- A team containing Huns: Researching Bloodlines and Husbandry is 20% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: Magyar Huszars are more resistant to conversion.