|“||Magyar unique unit. Light cavalry unit with a bonus vs. siege||”|
|—Age of Empires II description|
Magyar Huszars can be upgraded to Elite Magyar Huszars in the Imperial Age.
Magyar Huszars are comparatively cheap. Despite this, they have a considerable amount of attack, are fast, and have an attack bonus against siege weapons, making them an ideal counter to siege units. Also, they attack quickly, striking once every 1.8 seconds. In the cavalry branch, that value is only matched by Knights and Cataphracts. They also train fast, making the regular Hussar as good as redundant for the Magyars.
Magyar Huszars are an excellent complement for Magyar Cavalry Archers. They can easily deal with enemy siege weapons, a major weakness of Cavalry Archers, and can take down Skirmishers with ease, making way for the Cavalry Archers to deal with everything else. Camel Riders, however, can be a threat. Pikemen naturally deal huge bonus damage against both the Cavalry Archer and the Magyar Huszar, but can usually do no more than scare them off due to their low speed and zero range.
In combat against melee units, however, the Magyar Huszar's lackluster attack and armor makes it almost impossible to defeat anything in one-to-one combat. But considering their low cost, they still remain relatively cost effective against most of them nevertheless.
Comparison to the Hussar
- Both share the same armor and speed stats, but the Magyar Huszar has 10 HP more. The Hussar has a much greater Line of Sight.
- Magyar Huszars hold a greater attack (9/10 vs 7), a bonus vs siege, and attack slightly faster (1.8 vs 1.9).
- Hussars have an attack bonus against Monks and resist conversion.
- Magyar Huszars cost 80 food after researching Corvinian Army, Hussars 68 (only for the Magyars since patch 5.5 (72 before that patch); all other civilizations except Berbers pay 80 food). Hussars are easier to mass since they are trained at the Stable.
- All in all, Magyar Huszars are far more useful than regular Hussars for the Magyars, since they much better cover the weaknesses of their partner in the common Magyar army, the Cavalry Archer. Regular Hussars should not be trained or even upgraded unless the enemy makes use of Monks, or the player has very few Castles and needs to amass cavalry.
As Magyar Huszars are unique to the Magyars, only technologies that are available to them are shown in the following table:
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Siege weapons, archers|
|Weak vs.||Boyars, Pikemen, Kamayuks, Berserks, Genoese Crossbowmen, Teutonic Knights, Mamelukes, Camel Riders, Samurai|
|Hit points||Bloodlines (+20)|
|Attack|| Forging (+1)|
Iron Casting (+1)
Blast Furnace (+2)
|Armor|| Scale Barding Armor (+1/+1)|
Chain Barding Armor (+1/+1)
Plate Barding Armor (+1/+2)
|Creation speed||Conscription (+33%)|
|Train cost||Corvinian Army (eliminates the gold cost)|
|Upgrades||Elite Magyar Huszar|
- A team containing Berbers: With Kasbah researched, Magyar Huszars are created and upgraded 25% faster, and Conscription and Corvinian Army are researched 25% faster.
- A team containing Bulgarians: Researching cavalry armor upgrades at the Blacksmith is faster.
- A team containing Huns: Researching Bloodlines and Husbandry is 20% faster.
- A team containing Lithuanians: Researching Heresy is 20% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: Magyar Huszars are more resistant to conversion.
- Its shield resembles the Magyar civilization icon and they, alongside the Leitis, the Serjeant, and the Slinger, are the only units whose shields are also civilization icons.
- In the beta, they had 1 more attack than they have now.
- With a speed of 1.65 when Husbandry is researched, the Magyar Huszar is the fastest unique land unit and the second fastest unique unit of the game, only behind the Longboat.