Loom is effective during the early game, as it helps to protect Villagers from an early attack, but decreases in effectiveness as the strength of enemy armies rise. Additionally, Loom makes Villagers far more formidable against wild animals. Without Loom, a single Villager (except Magyar Villagers) will lose to any wild animal if it strikes first. With Loom, however, a single Villager can even kill two wild animals if they do not attack at the same time and do not strike first.
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Chinese: Loom is 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Persians: Researching Loom is 10%/15%/20% faster in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Loom gives +1/+1 armor to Villagers.
The Conquerors Edit
- With patch 1.0c, Loom now gives +1/+2 armor.
- Aztecs: With patch 1.0c, Loom is free.
The Forgotten Edit
- Aztecs: Free Loom removed, but start the game with +50 gold.
- Loom is one of only two technologies outside the Monastery costing only gold, the other one being Spies.
The invention of the loom and the ability to weave cloth was an important ancient technology that was quickly recovered during the Dark Ages. Good wool clothes were an important asset that lengthened life expectancy in the Northern European climate. Raising sheep for wool and then making cloth was one of the early important industries of the Middle Ages.
|Economic technologies in Age of Empires II|
Town Center: I: Loom II: Wheelbarrow III: Hand Cart