|“||The leader of your Tribe. Possesses many powerful bonuses and abilities. Explores, fights, builds Town Centers and Trading Posts.||”|
The Lakota War Chief (Sioux War Chief before the Definitive Edition) is a melee cavalry hero in Age of Empires III: The WarChiefs. He explores uncharted areas of the map and has some special abilities to help himself and his tribe. In standard random map games, the Lakota starts with a Lakota War Chief.
Overview[edit | edit source]
The Lakota War Chief increases the speed of friendly units in a radius of 24 around him by 20%; the "Command Skill" Home City Card will make his aura also increase attack by 10%, and in the Definitive Edition, the "War Chief" card also makes his aura increase siege attack by 10%. As all War Chiefs do, he can convert Treasure Guardians, detect stealth units, claim Treasures, and build Town Centers and Trading Posts. Like other explorer-type units, the Lakota War Chief will collapse instead of dying and can be rescued once he recovers enough health, although the War Chief Ceremony at the Community Plaza allows the player to return him there after a while as well as increasing his hit points.
The Lakota War Chief is the fastest hero unit in random map games.
Special abilities[edit | edit source]
- Recruit Guardian: Converts a human treasure guardian to the Lakota War Chief's side with the process taking 4 seconds to complete. 90 seconds cooldown.
- Berserk Attack: The Lakota War Chief delivers a powerful melee attack that instantly kills the target treasure guardian. 45 seconds cooldown.
- Swashbuckler Attack (requires Counting Coup Home City Card): The Lakota War Chief performs a sweeping hand attack that does 50 (12.5 against villagers, 5 against Spies and Ninja) melee damage to the target and other enemies in a radius of 3 around him. 90 seconds cooldown.
- Nature Friendship: Converts a treasure guardian to the Sioux War Chief's side with the process taking 4 seconds to complete. 90 seconds cooldown.
- Swashbuckler Attack (requires Counting Coup Home City Card): The Sioux War Chief performs a sweeping hand attack that does 50 (12.5 against villagers, 5 against Spies and Ninja) melee damage to the target and other enemies in a radius of 3 around him. 90 seconds cooldown.
Upgrades[edit | edit source]
The Lakota War Chief is automatically upgraded in every Age up.
- +50% hit points and attack
- +50% hit points and +100% attack
- +50% attack
- +175% hit points and +100% attack
Further statistics[edit | edit source]
As the Lakota War Chief is unique to the Lakota, only technologies that they have access to are shown in the following table:
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Treasure guardians, ranged infantry, artillery|
|Weak vs.||Villagers, heavy infantry, light cavalry, Spies, Ninja|
|Hit points|| Comanche Horse Breeding (+10%)|
Cree Tanning (+5%)
Navajo Weaving (+5%)
Sikh Gurus (+50%)
|Attack|| Battle Anger (+9.0x multiplier vs. artillery)|
Bonepipe Armor (+1.0x multiplier vs. artillery)
|Speed|| Comanche Mustangs (+10%)|
Apache Endurance (+5%)
|Other|| Carib Ambush Party (train Carib Ambushers)|
Loyal Nootka War Chief (train Nootka War Chief)
Home City Cards[edit | edit source]
As the Lakota War Chief is unique to the Lakota, only their cards and other civilizations' TEAM cards are shown in the following tables:
|Click for a list of Home City Cards related to the Sioux War Chief|
Green: TEAM Shipment that is sent to each player in a team
Sioux[edit | edit source]
Random names[edit | edit source]
- Two Moons
- Good Thunder
- Finds Buffalo
- Spotted Horse
- Four Bears
- Magic Shield
- Big Bow
- Running Elk
- Steals Horses
- Open Sky
- Diving Hawk
- Wolf Heart
- Many Coups
- Sleepy Eagle
- Coughing Clown
- Plenty Beads
- Invisible Arrow
- Eagle Catchers
- Sun Ceremonyr
- Younger Brother
- Slow Walker
- Cloud Walker
Changelog[edit | edit source]
The WarChiefs[edit | edit source]
- The unit is named Sioux War Chief.
- Has Nature Friendship which converts all Treasure Guardians, human and non-human.
- The "Smoke Signals" Home City Card allows the Sioux War Chief to train Fang the Tame Coyotes.
Definitive Edition[edit | edit source]
- The unit is renamed to Lakota War Chief.
- The Lakota War Chief is now classified as a heavy cavalry.
- Nature Friendship replaced by Recruit Guardian, which converts human Treasure Guardians only.
- Receives Berserk Attack.
- All special abilities now goes on cooldown when one is used, which is as long as the activated one.
- The "Smoke Signals" Home City Card renamed to "War Chief". It now makes the Lakota War Chief's aura increase friendly units' siege attack by 10%.
History[edit | edit source]
Original[edit | edit source]
|“||War chiefs, typically young men in their prime, were responsible for leading warriors into battle. Even though they led their tribe's war efforts, they had to answer to a council of tribal leaders who attended to the daily affairs of the tribe.
One of the most renowned war chiefs was Sitting Bull (1831-1890), also known as Tatanka Yotanka. Born in the territory of present-day South Dakota, he was renowned as a Sioux medicine man and prophet. Sitting Bull led Native resistance against U.S. government attempts to take over tribal lands, which included his involvement in the Battle of the Little Bighorn with his lieutenants Crazy Horse and Gall. After spending several years in Canada with his followers, Sitting Bull returned to the U.S. under a government amnesty program.