The Laborer is the Egyptian worker unit in Age of Mythology. They are needed to gather the resources to build an army, build structures and otherwise expand your empire. A strong empire has many Laborers. In times of emergency, Laborers are fair fighters, but they are best left to what they do well - gathering resources and constructing buildings.
The player can only have up to 80 Laborers alive at any given time regardless of the population cap status.
Laborers are usually used to gather resources to fund the player's many technological upgrades and unit creation in addition to building and repairing structures.
Laborers gather all resources 10% slower than Norse Gatherers and Greek Villagers and farm 20% slower. Furthermore, they are considerably slower than other workers at constructing most buildings. Players can offset these deficiencies by using the Pharaoh to empower the building in question. Moreover, many Egyptian buildings cost no resources.
Laborers can build the following:
Monuments may be built from the Archaic Age. They must be built in this set order:
- Monument to Villagers, Monument to Soldiers, Monument to Priests, Monument to Pharaohs, Monument to the Gods
Laborers have the followers attack multipliers for their melee attack:
- Hand Axe increases the gather rate of wood by 11% and carrying capacity by 50%.
- Bow Saw also increases the gather rate of wood by 11% and carrying capacity by 50%.
- Carpenters also increases the gather rate of wood by 11% and carrying capacity by 50%.
- Pickaxe increases the gather rate of gold by 11% and carrying capacity by 50%.
- Shaft Mine also increases the gather rate of gold by 11% and carrying capacity by 50%.
- Quarry also increases the gather rate of gold by 11% and carrying capacity by 50%.
- Hunting Dogs increases the gather rate of food from hunted animals by 30%
- Husbandry increases the gather rate of food from herd animals by 20% and allows laborers to carry twice as much food (of all types.)
- Plow increases the gather rate of food from Farms by 22%
- Irrigation further increases the gather rate of Food from Farms by 11%
- Flood Control further increases the gather rate of Food from Farms by 11%
Worshiping certain gods enables players to research myth technologies that improve their Laborers.
- Skin of the Rhino: decreases hack and pierce vulnerability by 30% and increases attack by 10% - found at Town Center
- Sacred Cats increases the gather rate of food from Farms by 10% - found at Granary.
- Adze of Wepwawet enables Laborers to fell trees with one stroke and increases the gather rate of wood by 10%. - found at Lumber Camp.
Farming and laboring peasants made up the bulk ancient Egypt’s population. They provided the surplus of food, raw materials, and manufactures that supported the ruling pharaohs, the civil bureaucracy, the priesthood, and the army. Although the life of the peasants was not easy, they lived better than peasants elsewhere due to the bounty of the Nile Valley. Peasants worked the fields, maintained the extensive irrigation system, and labored on huge public works like the pyramids, temples, and other monuments.
|Villager | Laborer | Gatherer | Dwarf | Citizen | Peasant|