"Inca unique unit. Infantry unit with attack bonus vs. cavalry. Carries a long spear to infiltrate formations."—Age of Empires II description
Kamayuks can be upgraded to Elite Kamayuks in the Imperial Age.
Kamayuks are most effective in large groups, as they have a range of one, enabling them to attack from behind one another. Due to this, they can counter cavalry effectively, as they don't have to run around each other in order to attack. Also, their fast training speed means they are easy to mass. Much like Pikemen, Kamayuks get an additional attack bonus against elephant type units such as the Battle Elephant.
Like Pikemen, Kamayuks fare poorly against other infantry, although it must be mentioned that they do much better than Pikemen due to their higher Rate of Fire and considerably higher base attack. Additionally, their 1 range means that in large numbers they can inflict surprising casualties on enemy infantry, even if the matchup is not in their favor. Still, they should be used in conjunction with Slingers to protect them from infantry, while Kamayuks can mow down hordes of cavalry without worrying about infantry. Eagle Warriors can also be included to protect the Kamayuks from archers and siege weapons, which can deal heavy damage to them despite their pierce armor from Couriers. Hand Cannoneers will decimate Kamayuks. Lastly, Cataphracts will dominate Kamayuks due to their resistance to anti-cavalry attacks, their bonus damage against infantry, and their trample damage.
A common dilemma for Inca players is whether to use Halberdiers or Kamayuks, this will depend on resource availability. If there is gold to spend, the Kamayuk should be always the cavalry counter unit of choice, if there isn't enough gold, the player can mix in some Halberdiers that are cheaper than the more expensive and effective Kamayuk.
Further statistics Edit
As Kamayuks are unique to the Incas, only technologies that are available to them are shown in the following table:
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Skirmishers, cavalry, Cavalry Archers, Spearmen|
|Weak vs.||Plumed Archers, Scorpions, Mangonels, Hand Cannoneers, Janissaries, Monks, Slingers, Cataphracts, Teutonic Knights|
|Attack|| Forging (+1)|
Iron Casting (+1)
Blast Furnace (+2)
Arson (+2 attack against standard buildings)
|Armor|| Scale Mail Armor (+1/+1)|
Chain Mail Armor (+1/+1)
Plate Mail Armor (+1/+2)
Couriers (+1/+2, since The African Kingdoms)
|Speed|| Squires (+10%)|
Couriers (+10%, only in The Forgotten)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Creation speed||Conscription (+33%)|
|Upgrades||Kamayuks can be upgraded to Elite Kamayuks|
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Berbers: With Kasbah researched, Kamayuks are created and upgraded 25% faster, and Conscription and Couriers are researched 25% faster.
- A team containing Goths: Researching Tracking, Squires, and Arson is 20% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: Kamayuks are more resistant to conversion.
The Forgotten Edit
- Kamayuks move at a speed of 0.95.
- Couriers gives +10% movement speed to Kamayuks.
- The upgrade to the Elite Kamayuks costs 1,000F/600G.
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Couriers now gives +1/+2 armor instead of +10% movement speed.
- Kamayuks reskinned.
- The upgrade to the Elite Kamayuk now costs 900F/500G.
- Arson introduced.
- (Elite) Kamayuks have +4 (+6) attack against camel units.
- With patch 4.8, Kamayuks now move at a speed of 1.
- With patch 4.8, Kamayuks gain a +20 attack bonus against elephant type units.
Rise of the Rajas Edit
- With patch 5.7, (Elite) Kamayuks now have +6 (+10) attack against camel units.
- Kamayuks are one of only four infantry units that don't get an attack bonus against Eagle Warriors, the other being the Condottiero, the Militia, and other Eagles.
In an Inca army, a Kamayuk was an officer in charge of lesser soldiers such as a slinger or archer. Lesser Kamayuks blew conch shell trumpets or beat drums. Lesser Kamayuks had designations before the titles, such as Choru or Pachac. The highest Kamayuks were simply called Kamayuks.