"Stronger than Heavy Camel. Excels at killing other mounted units."—Age of Empires II description
The Imperial Camel Rider (called Imperial Camel before the Definitive Edition) is the second unique unit of the Indians in Age of Empires II: The Forgotten. It can be trained at the Stable once the Imperial Age is reached. It is an anti-cavalry camel.
Unlike most unique units, Imperial Camel Riders do not have an Elite version.
Imperial Camel Riders are one of the most versatile and powerful cavalry units in the game due to their variety of uses in the battlefield, and given the number of advantages they have compared to ordinary cavalry. Besides having an attack bonus against other cavalry units, they have decent attack, high hit points, fast speed, average armor (their original armor is 0/0 but the Indians' civilization bonus gives them +1 pierce armor from the very beginning) and are cheaper than Knights. Due to the Indian team bonus, they also have +6 attack against buildings, which makes them a fairly good substitute for siege weaponry. They can easily kill Paladins in one on one combat and can also defeat War Elephants in small groups.
As the Indians lack any unit from the Knight line, Camel Riders are a vital part of their armies for a fast, yet fairly resilient unit. They can be used as a shield for weaker units, while still being able to slaughter archers and cavalry. However, they are not as effective against Cataphracts, which are partially immune to the bonus damage from Camel Riders.
The Imperial Camel Rider is a well-rounded unit, and is able to handle almost any unit, even infantry, but while it can defeat even Halberdiers one on one, it is not cost effective enough to send them against a group of any kind of pole armed infantry because they can deal heavy damage even without defeating the Camel Rider force.
As a side note, despite being available only to a single civilization and the Imperial Camel Rider upgrade being unique to the Indians, the unit itself is treated as an ordinary member of the Camel Rider line by the game. Hence, unlike the Condottiero or Slinger, the Imperial Camel Rider takes no bonus damage from Samurai.
Further statistics Edit
As Imperial Camel Riders are unique to the Indians, only technologies that are available to them are shown in the following table:
|Unit strengths and weaknesses|
|Strong vs.||Skirmishers, siege weapons, Cavalry Archers, cavalry|
|Weak vs.||Pikemen, Teutonic Knights, Genoese Crossbowmen, Berserks|
|Hit points||Bloodlines (+20)|
|Attack|| Forging (+1)|
Iron Casting (+1)
Blast Furnace (+2)
|Armor|| Scale Barding Armor (+1/+1)|
Chain Barding Armor (+1/+1)
Plate Barding Armor (+1/+2)
|Creation speed||Conscription (+33%)|
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Indians: Imperial Camel Riders have +1 pierce armor.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Berbers: With Kasbah researched, Conscription is researched 25% faster.
- A team containing Bulgarians: Researching cavalry armor and attack upgrades at the Blacksmith is 50% faster.
- A team containing Huns: Imperial Camel Riders are created 20% faster. Researching Bloodlines and Husbandry is 20% faster.
- A team containing Indians: Imperial Camel Riders have +6 attack against buildings.
- A team containing Lithuanians: Researching Faith is 20% faster.
- A team containing Teutons: Imperial Camel Riders are more resistant to conversion.
The Forgotten Edit
- The unit is named Imperial Camel.
- Imperial Camels are in an armor class along with ships, and take bonus damage from anti-ship/anti-camel attacks.
- Indians: Imperial Camels have +1/+1 armor.
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Imperial Camels reskinned.
- The ship armor class is removed from the Imperial Camels, and they receive an own armor class.
Rise of the Rajas Edit
- Indians: With patch 5.8, Imperial Camels have +1 pierce armor.
Definitive Edition Edit
- The unit is renamed to Imperial Camel Rider.
- Camel Riders are one of two military units that do not make the usual military sound when created, the other being Trebuchets.
- They used the same icon as the Heavy Camel Rider until patch 3.5.
- The original unit design for the Imperial Camel Rider (up until patch 3.5) was based on the beta Age of Kings design for the Heavy Camel Rider.
- In Age of Empires II: The Forgotten Empires and Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten, up to patch 3.5, the Imperial Camel Rider was a redesigned regular Heavy Camel Rider with a longer fabric covering and an attack animation somewhat similar to a Mameluke. The design was brought up to speed with the other expansion units in patch 3.6.
- The Imperial Camel Rider is one of the only two unique units that is an upgrade of a regular unit (the other one being the Imperial Skirmisher).
- The Imperial Camel Rider is one of only two unique units not taking bonus damage from the Samurai (the other one being the Imperial Skirmisher), due to both being upgrades of common units.
- The Imperial Camel Rider is the only unique unit that is initially trained at the Stable. It is joined by the Tarkan when Marauders is researched.
- The Imperial Camel Rider is one of only three unique units only available in the Imperial Age (the other being the Condottiero and the Imperial Skirmisher).
- The Imperial Camel Rider is one of the few unique units that do not have any base melee armor nor pierce armor. The others are the Chu Ko Nu, Gbeto, Slinger, and Missionary. The Imperial Camel Rider, however, always gets +1 pierce armor thanks to the Indian civilization bonus.