Attack bonus[edit | edit source]
- Infantry (including Norse Heroes): ×3.75
God Bonuses and Upgrades[edit | edit source]
Specific[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
Zeus makes infantry do double damage to buildings.
- Aegis Shield (Athena) decreases pierce vulnerability by 10%.
- Oracle (Apollo) increases LOS by 6.
- Bacchanalia (Dionysus) increases hit points by 5%.
- Medium Infantry, Heavy Infantry and Champion Infantry all increase LOS by 1 and attack by 10%, and increase hit points by 10%, 15% and 20% respectively.
- Levy Infantry and Conscript Infantry decrease training time by 20%.
- Copper Weapons, Bronze Weapons, and Iron Weapons increase attack by 10%.
- Copper Mail, Bronze Mail, and Iron Mail decrease hack vulnerability by 10%.
- Copper Shields, Bronze Shields, and Iron Shields decrease pierce vulnerability by 10%.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
As counter-infantry, Hypaspists will destroy infantry with ease but that is essentially their only use. They are very vulnerable to ranged units due to their poor pierce armor. Cavalry will defeat them as well though at some cost. Like many other counter units, Hypaspists are not cost effective in general use. Toxotes fill the anti-infantry role well enough in most situations. However Hypaspists cost less gold and are around twice as good at defeating infantry as Toxotes are. So if the opponent is building a large infantry force, it will be worth training Hypaspists in large numbers. Furthermore, Zeus' Hypaspists do reasonable damage to buildings.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||Alexander's great army of conquest included three regiments of Hypaspists. These were apparently the best of his peasant infantry and of equal status and ability to his Foot Companions, most of noble blood. The Hypaspists were capable of fighting as traditional Hoplite infantry, or could switch to javelins and lighter armor for rapid movement in rough terrain. They were used to rapidly close with the enemy and distract them, allowing the Companion cavalry to hit the enemy from a side or the rear.||”|
|—In-game History Section|