|This article is about the technology in Age of Empires II. For the technology in Age of Mythology, see Husbandry (Age of Mythology).|
Husbandry is available to all civilizations except for the Aztecs, Cumans, Incas, Mayans, Teutons, and Vikings. Even though the Cumans cannot research Husbandry, they have the most mobile cavalry units in the game, thanks to their civilization bonus which increases cavalry movement speed by +15% in the Imperial Age.
Husbandry is good to research once it is available, as it makes cavalry even better at evading archer fire and cover distances more quickly - traits essential for both closing a gap with an enemy and scouting. Researching Husbandry is an absolute must for cavalry-focused civilizations like the Berbers, Franks, Huns, or Saracens.
Civilizations bonuses Edit
- Chinese: Husbandry is 15%/20% cheaper in the Castle/Imperial Age.
- Franks: With Chivalry researched, researching Husbandry is 40% faster.
Team bonuses Edit
- A team containing Huns: Researching Husbandry is 20% faster.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Husbandry costs 250F.
- Husbandry takes 50 seconds to research.
The Conquerors Edit
The African Kingdoms Edit
- Husbandry now takes 40 seconds to research.
- With patch 4.8, Husbandry now costs 150F.
Rise of the Rajas Edit
- Vietnamese: Cannot research Husbandry.
Definitive Edition Edit
- Cumans: Initially can research Husbandry. With update 34055, it was removed from their technology tree.
- Spanish: Missionaries now benefit from Husbandry.
- Vietnamese: Husbandry added to their technology tree.
"In an age dominated for centuries by knights, the breeding and provision of horses, a branch of animal husbandry, became an important skill. Knights needed heavy chargers to carry them into battle but also dependable lighter horses with stamina for campaigning in the country. Scouts and light cavalry needed fast and nimble horses when traveling cross-country in enemy territory. Horse breeders of the Middle Ages selected for these traits, and horses of different abilities were the result."