|This article is about the hero in Age of Empires II. For the wild animal, see Wolf.|
The Hunting Wolf is a hero animal which appears in several campaigns in Age of Empires II. It is also referenced in subsequent Ensemble Studios games and is available in the Scenario Editor. As a hero, it cannot be converted and can regenerate health (since The Conquerors).
The game treats the Hunting Wolf as an infantry unit, so it can be improved with infantry technologies, although the infobox does not show that in-game.
Like other wolves, the Hunting Wolf has two different speeds (walking and running) but they cannot be selected and the running speed is only activated when it is ordered to attack.
Despite the Wolf being a hero unit, and its portrait showcasing a glow, it does not have the golden glow that standard heroes have.
Campaign appearances[edit | edit source]
- In The Horde Rides West, Subotai starts with two Hunting Wolves.
- In The Legend of Prithviraj, the Indian Dynasties have a single Hunting Wolf at the northern tip of the map.
- In Pax Mongolica, after 45 minutes, Subotai comes with many Saboteurs and Hunting Wolf reinforcements.
- In The Great Ride, after finding the Scythian Wild Women, they request 6 Villagers, and after granting their request, they clear trees for the player to get some Petards and Hunting Wolves.
- In The Triple Alliance, Cortéz only has a lone Hunting Wolf at the eastern tip of the map for most of the game.