|This article is about the building in Age of Empires II. For the building in other games of the series, see House.|
“Each House supports 5 units (villagers, military units, ships, Trade Carts).”—Age of Empires II description
The House is a civilian building in Age of Empires II. It provides five population, making it one of the most essential buildings there are. If a House is destroyed, the population value it provided is lost (except for the Mongols after researching Nomads).
Tactics and placement Edit
Apart from Walls, the House is the cheapest building in the game. Its only purpose is to increase population capacity. In the Dark Age, the House is the very first building a player should build (unless they are playing as the Huns or the Chinese). In fact, building a House should be the very first thing to do besides creating new Villagers. It is recommendable to create at least four Houses before advancing to the Feudal Age.
As Houses are cheap and built quickly, they are used in many circumstances as a wall replacement with the plus of support population, especially in early stages of the game to defend against a rush.
The Khmer have a very distinctive bonus that enables the player to use the House as a supportive building when defending from a raid, as they can garrison up to five Villagers inside (however unlike when garrisoned in Town Centers, towers, or Castles, the garrisoned Villagers do not shoot arrows). This helps the Khmer to minimize losses, so in their particular case, is advisable to build Houses next to busy working places. Also, if they want to substitute walls with Houses, they can move their Villagers inside their base through a House.
Houses are often built in clusters to save space for buildings and resource extraction. This optimizes the flow of units through the player's town, however, it also makes them particularly vulnerable to siege weapons such as Onagers or Capped Rams.
Further statistics Edit
|Building strengths and weaknesses|
|Hit points|| Masonry (+10%)|
|Armor|| Masonry (+1/+1, +3 building armor)|
Architecture (+1/+1, +3 building armor)
|Line of Sight|| Town Watch (+4)|
Town Patrol (+4)
|Conversion defense|| Faith|
|Construction speed||Treadmill Crane (+20%)|
|Other||Nomads (Houses do not lose their population room when destroyed, Mongols only)|
Civilization bonuses Edit
- Burmese: Researching Faith is 50% cheaper.
- Byzantines: Houses have +10%/+20%/+30%/+40% HP in the Dark/Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age. Town Watch is free.
- Chinese: Technologies that benefit Houses are 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Huns: Cannot build Houses and start the game with -100 wood.
- Incas: Houses provide 10 population.
- Khmer: Up to five Villagers can garrison in a House.
- Malians: Houses are 15% cheaper.
- Spanish: Houses are built 30% faster.
The Age of Kings Edit
- Houses cost 30 wood.
- Houses always have 900 HP.
The Conquerors Edit
- Heresy introduced.
The Forgotten Edit
- Houses now cost 25 wood.
- House HP staggered: 550/750/900/900 in the Dark/Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.
- Mongols: Nomads introduced.
Definitive Edition Edit
- Fixed the issue which made houses able to attack.
- Destroyed house foundations no longer provide population space with the “Nomads” technology for the Mongols.
- Houses are the only buildings that can be rotated in the Scenario Editor. Houses from every architecture type come in three different forms (as shown in the gallery).
“During the Middle Ages in Europe, peasants often kept farm animals in a separate room or on the ground floor of their houses. Merchants and craftsmen also used ground floors as a place of business with living areas above. Lords lived in larger manor houses with kitchens separated to reduce the risk of fire. The homes of lords in the Dark Ages were fortified before the advent of castles.”—Age of Empires II manual
|Buildings in Age of Empires II|
|House · Monastery · Wonder|
|Economy||Town Center · Dock · Fish Trap · Mill · Farm · Market · Lumber Camp · Mining Camp · Feitoria|
|Research||Blacksmith · University|
|Barracks · Archery Range · Stable · Siege Workshop · Castle · Harbor · Krepost|
|Towers||Outpost · Watch Tower · Guard Tower · Keep · Bombard Tower|
|Walls||Palisade Wall · Stone Wall · Fortified Wall · Palisade Gate · Gate|